You Wonder How These Things Begin

“This is the bed that gave us the agent
That started the search that brought the house
That had the room that fit the bed
That lay in the house that Jack built!”

Even before we’d moved to Texas and were living in our small rent house, I was obsessed with finding Asher a captain’s bed. It seems there is never enough room in his dresser for the piles of clothing I insist on buying him! Seriously, at this point he probably has about 30 pairs of shorts. Add to that his shirts, pajamas, socks, underwear, pants, and his uniforms for various extra-curricular activities, and we have a serious space problem. I have been trading out his summer/winter wardrobe for the past few years and I dread the days of washing, packing, washing and then unpacking. I really wanted enough room for all of his clothes to be out at once. Keep in mind, that simply buying less clothing was not an option for me.

Craigslist to the rescue!

After weeks of scouring the site, I found the perfect bed. In fact, it was so perfect that I bought it that day and it’s been sitting in the garage, while Elijah and I debated how to finish it, ever since.

But the most interesting thing about this bed is the fact that it was sold to us by someone who is now real estate agent. We’d sold the Oklahoma house and I’d been toying around on MLS just to get an idea about prices and availability in the areas we liked. After meeting Amy and buying the bed, she offered to set up a search for us just so we could focus in on what we really wanted.

The rest, as they say, is history. Less than two months later we were putting an offer on the house we’re in now and the bed is finally finished and being slept in.

Craigslist to the rescue!

I swear the green will make sense once the room is completed!
8 Responses to You Wonder How These Things Begin
  1. rikki.o
    November 11, 2010 | 11:54 am

LOVING the bed! Great job. Can't wait to see the whole room. I know I still owe you a quote to hang 🙂

2. rikki.o
    November 11, 2010 | 11:54 am

3. Mixed Handbag
    November 11, 2010 | 5:23 pm

love it. see, you don't even need me.

4. Mixed Handbag
    November 11, 2010 | 5:23 pm

love it. see, you don't even need me.

5. justjulia
    November 12, 2010 | 4:37 am

that is an amazing story and an amazing bed! Plus I love the flower on your Tee. funny 'cause that is exactly something I would have chosen. Shuji always knows what tees or blouses to get me for birthdays etc. because the ones I like have flowers. good luck w/ the rest of your house decorating. I really hope that you have a good time while you are doing it. xx

6. justjulia
    November 12, 2010 | 4:37 am

7. Booyah's Momma
    November 14, 2010 | 1:25 am

I love that captain's bed! I have never seen one like that before; what a great idea!

8. Booyah's Momma