Locavore

I was completely taken in by this book. I loved it. It’s a bit overwhelming and a lot to process, but I absolutely bought into it. Because of this book we have started buying local. We’re not crazy nuts about it, we just hit the local farmer’s market (which is year round, by the way!) every Saturday we can. I’m big on meat and eggs. We buy produce as well, but I’m not obscene about it. I mean, they don’t exactly sell locally grown pineapples in Texas!

Anyway, this book was amazing. It completely changed the way I feed my family and I’m so grateful to have read this. There is such a great message here. Especially, in it’s discussion of the actual environmental implications of global organic farming. Must read. Cannot wait to start his other book, In Defense of Food.

10 Responses to Locavore
  1. mama4x
    April 19, 2011 | 12:19 pm

Next read “Mad Cowboy” and watch Food Inc, and Botany of Desire. Look up “the Meatrix” on youtube or somewhere. A friend of mine has a farm in Taylor that sells good meat. Check out Polyface Farms and Elliot Coleman.

2. mama4x
    April 19, 2011 | 12:19 pm

3. Julia Nishibata
    April 19, 2011 | 8:47 pm

good for you girl! I know you have a lot on your reading plate already, but I also recommend reading “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver.

4. Julia Nishibata
    April 19, 2011 | 8:47 pm

5. missmarinastar
    April 20, 2011 | 4:30 pm

I have actually heard of Polyface Farms, I think they come out to our farmer's market. I will definitely put “Mad Cowboy” on my reading list, and Food, Inc is already on our Netflix queue. I knew of all my friends, you would be the one with the most insight into this new adventure of ours!

6. missmarinastar
    April 20, 2011 | 4:30 pm

7. missmarinastar
    April 20, 2011 | 4:31 pm

That book is actually on my “to be read” shelf. I loved The Poisonwood Bible so much, I can't imagine anything she writes not being excellent. I will definitely get to it, and maybe I can find an interview on NPR so I can squeeze it into this year's reading goal. 🙂

8. missmarinastar
    April 20, 2011 | 4:31 pm

April 21, 2011 | 10:45 am

Interesting. I may have to pick this up after this semester winds down. My son is five and I know that NOW is the time to start making changes in our lives about things such as this. We don't eat “unhealthy” but we need to put more thought into exactly where we get our foods and what are in them.

Jackie @ http://tofindtheline.blogspot.com/