Where I’m From

I am from a typewriter, from a well loved, beautifully played Martin, and homemade wheat bread.

I am from the busiest house in the neighborhood, family dinners that spilled from the dining room table onto living room couches, from chaos, strong wills, and the hidden trace of cigarette smoke on breath and clothes.

I am from the the scent of orange blossoms and the heat of the Santa Ana winds, from the Joshua Tree, sour grass, and the feel of the Pacific Ocean between toes.

I am from holiday batches of homemade Chex Mix and the fear that danger can be found in the most innocuous of places, from Christmas and Huckett and Lara, and even Norton.

I am from the darkness of depression, the struggle with addiction, the fierceness of an independent spirit, and traveling light in the interest of self preservation.

From ‘God will provide’ and ‘love one another’.

I am from those who sprinkle and those who immerse, from three hours of meetings every Sunday without fail. I’m from religions claiming focus on strong family relationships, loving the sinner while hating the sin. I’m from unanswered questions and the abandoning of youthful beliefs. I’m from sacraments, covenants, purgatory, celestial glory and eternal damnation.

I’m from the City of Orange, from Mexican immigrants and New World explorers. I’m from Christmas Eve tamales and rosemary sourdough toast.

From the secretary who fell in love with the truck driving choir boy, the teacher who fell for his research assistant, and the man who made it ‘Off-Broadway’.

I am from volumes of photo albums organized for decades then scattered amongst the grieving. I’m from boxes of letters, books, poetry and journals hidden in attics from judgmental eyes. I’m from seashells, and sand dollars and smooth glass rocks. I’m from schoolwork and projects, report cards and homemade gifts forgotten and tossed aside in anticipation for the next move.  I’m from forsaking the old in search of the new, from turning your back and leaving behind.

Written in response to a prompt from Mama Kat’s.
#2. Where I’m From.
    Mama’s Losin’ It
    36 Responses to Where I’m From
    1. Rdoak03
      September 22, 2011 | 11:49 am

Martin guitars and damnation- those sound familiar to my upbringing, as well! Thanks for visiting my blog today.

2. Rdoak03
      September 22, 2011 | 11:49 am

3. Grams
      September 22, 2011 | 12:18 pm

Well done! That last paragraph is beautiful and powerful. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's response to this prompt.

4. Grams
      September 22, 2011 | 12:18 pm

5. Mindy
      September 22, 2011 | 1:37 pm

Oh, I love this. Beautiful.

6. Mindy
      September 22, 2011 | 1:37 pm

Oh, I love this. Beautiful.

7. Kimberly
      September 23, 2011 | 12:26 am

I love this prompt. It makes us learn so much more about the bloggers behind the words. Great last paragraph!

8. Kimberly
      September 23, 2011 | 12:26 am

9. Galit Breen
      September 23, 2011 | 5:59 am

Oh my this is so very revealing and transparent. I feel so lucky to be let into so many folds of your story here!

10. Galit Breen
      September 23, 2011 | 5:59 am

September 23, 2011 | 5:02 pm

If you are familiar with Martin guitars and damnation,we are compadres then, no?

September 23, 2011 | 5:02 pm

September 23, 2011 | 5:03 pm

Thank you for your sweet words about my post. I am pretty proud of that last free form paragraph!

September 23, 2011 | 5:03 pm

September 23, 2011 | 5:04 pm

Thank you! Did it scream Marina? Of all the “non-family members” who read this, you should definitely get it the most.  Thanks for commenting…and stopping by for a visit. Miss you! XOXO

September 23, 2011 | 5:04 pm

September 23, 2011 | 5:05 pm

I think we loved this prompt for the same reason! Yours was wonderful…but I already told you that, didn't I? 🙂

September 23, 2011 | 5:05 pm

September 23, 2011 | 5:06 pm

Thank you. I am trying harder to be as open and honest as I can be, without worrying about offending or upsetting. I have to write from the heart or else it just doesn't feel right. I'm glad you enjoyed it and am grateful for the kind comment.

September 23, 2011 | 5:06 pm

21. Mary Johnson
      September 23, 2011 | 6:15 pm

Romantic and wistful. Wonderfully done. I especially love your last line! Pure poetry.

22. Mary Johnson
      September 23, 2011 | 6:15 pm

September 23, 2011 | 10:06 pm

Thank you! I am so glad you enjoyed it. I really didn't think about how it ended but am glad that you enjoyed it.  That seems to be everyone's favorite. Thanks for stopping by!

September 23, 2011 | 10:06 pm

25. Julia Nishibata
      September 24, 2011 | 5:13 am

wonderful clarity, beautiful prose. you captured so much. and i agree, the last paragraph is amazing, the first line so hits home. well done sis. thanks for sharing.

26. Julia Nishibata
      September 24, 2011 | 5:13 am

27. jessica
      September 25, 2011 | 10:53 am

I am from those same Sunday family dinners. Love how much this piece tells about you.

28. jessica
      September 25, 2011 | 10:53 am

September 26, 2011 | 9:12 am

Thank you. I was nervous about this post because I was afraid I'd get a detail wrong. However, I figured that even if some parts aren't historically accurate, the “facts” came from what I'd either been told or had pieced together from overheard conversations. It's my truth, even if it's not all perfect.

I loved writing it though, and am so glad we have the first line in common.

September 26, 2011 | 9:12 am

I loved writing it though, and am so glad we have the first line in common.

September 26, 2011 | 9:13 am

Thank you so much for stopping by to learn a little about me. I really appreciate your comment.

September 26, 2011 | 9:13 am

33. Greta
      January 2, 2012 | 10:27 pm

I love this! I treid to write one of these, and just couldn't do it in that couple of days between the rompt and the posting. Maybe I'll try again someday. This is so revealing and so beautifully written. I can see why it's one of your favorites this year!

34. Greta
      January 2, 2012 | 10:27 pm

January 4, 2012 | 11:11 am

You should definitely do it, it was such a great writing experience. I'd love to read yours and am so happy that you enjoyed mine.

January 4, 2012 | 11:11 am