Here Comes The Rain Again

Some of you may have heard that Texas is in a drought. The Austin area, where I live, is well on it’s way to scoring the newest drought on record since the 1960’s. Many of the surrounding areas have already instituted water restrictions and we are all doing what we can to conserve. This means, that while our front lawn is small enough to be watered twice a week, our back yard is completely dead. We also had to pull all our flowers from the front since they burned up in July and were unsalvageable. If today hits 100 degrees, which it’s expected to do, that will make a record breaking 89 days of triple-digit-heat this year.

Naturally, this means that we haven’t been getting our cars washed. It’s wasteful, and against the restrictions, to wash them ourselves, plus we felt that it wasn’t right to take them in so someone else can waste water on something so unnecessary. As a result, our cars looked dusty and sad. Which explains why Elijah was so excited about the small rain shower we had last night.

This is how our cars get washed – drought style:

See how creative and conservationally minded we Okies are?

Linking this up with those wild and crazy
iPhone Photo Phun gals:

iPhone Photo Phun
56 Responses to Here Comes The Rain Again
  1. TamingInsanity
    September 28, 2011 | 11:10 am

That is just smart conservation, is what that is.

2. TamingInsanity
    September 28, 2011 | 11:10 am

That is just smart conservation, is what that is.

3. Ado
    September 28, 2011 | 11:35 am

So odd to think about a drought while we on the E. Coast are having quite a bit of rain. (-:
    Your car looks so nice and shiny, totally opposite to mine.

4. Ado
    September 28, 2011 | 11:35 am

Your car looks so nice and shiny, totally opposite to mine.

5. Liz
    September 28, 2011 | 12:17 pm

So, is he using the rain shower and just wiping the car down? Wow!

6. Liz
    September 28, 2011 | 12:17 pm

So, is he using the rain shower and just wiping the car down? Wow!

7. Leigh Ann
    September 28, 2011 | 1:45 pm

That's a great idea. It rained for about 60 seconds in the afternoon at my house, then in the evening it got really dark and windy, with thunder and lightening, and it sprinkled a bit as we drove to target. By the time we came out of the store, it was all gone. So disappointed!

8. Leigh Ann
    September 28, 2011 | 1:45 pm

9. Grumpy Grateful Mom
    September 28, 2011 | 2:17 pm

Very wise husband!  That's a ton of triple digit days.   Hoping you get more rain soon.

10. Grumpy Grateful Mom
    September 28, 2011 | 2:17 pm

11. Greta @gfunkified
    September 28, 2011 | 2:39 pm

Wow. That is a LOT of heat. I think I'd have gone nuts by now. That's why I like KS….it can get really, really hot or really, really cold, but you know the next season will be on its way!

12. Greta @gfunkified
    September 28, 2011 | 2:39 pm

September 28, 2011 | 6:44 pm

My car was so awful. But we got a good shower yesterday. V. in * dust * rious of your husband. Hope a good dousing comes your way soon.

September 28, 2011 | 6:44 pm

15. Mrs. Weber
    September 28, 2011 | 6:49 pm

Glad you got a little bit of rain since it's needed. Us northerners here in Michigan have had wayyyyy too much rain lately. I would love a few more super warm days. The grass is always greener I suppose!

16. Mrs. Weber
    September 28, 2011 | 6:49 pm

17. Diana Kapaldo
    September 28, 2011 | 7:14 pm

I can't imagine living in the Texas heat! My Grandpa talked about washing cars when it rained all the time. Cute blog by the way!

18. Diana Kapaldo
    September 28, 2011 | 7:14 pm

19. Charity C
    September 28, 2011 | 7:20 pm

sorry to hear about the continued drought.  We will continue to pray it ends.

20. Charity C
    September 28, 2011 | 7:20 pm

sorry to hear about the continued drought.  We will continue to pray it ends.

21. take2mommy
    September 28, 2011 | 8:30 pm

Smart idea! I can't imagine how hard it has been in TX, with the heat and drought. I pray more rain will come your way soon.

22. take2mommy
    September 28, 2011 | 8:30 pm

September 28, 2011 | 9:02 pm

89 days!?!?  I will never complete about the heat again.

Yes I will but I will think about you when I do and not mean it as much!  89 days!!!!  WOW!

September 28, 2011 | 9:02 pm

89 days!?!?  I will never complete about the heat again.

September 29, 2011 | 7:19 am

Agreed! I didn't even bat an eye when he headed out in the middle of the storm. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

September 29, 2011 | 7:19 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:20 am

It's weird because last summer it rained so much here. I can't hardly believe this is the same city. Don't feel too badly about having a dirty car, what's the point in washing it when it's just going to rain again, right?

September 29, 2011 | 7:20 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:21 am

Yep, that's exactly what he's doing. He even got out his special car washing sponge. Creative isn't it?

September 29, 2011 | 7:21 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:22 am

It was disappointing. I feel like we've been waiting forever for some rain and then all we got was a five minute shower. I just keep telling myself that it can't last forever.

September 29, 2011 | 7:22 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:23 am

Thanks, me too. I always thought I'd love living in a really warm place, but the heat has definitely started to get to me.

September 29, 2011 | 7:23 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:25 am

It is nice to know that a break from the current weather is just a few months off. We used to live in OK and I always complained about how cold/icy/snowy our winters were. Now I live where the AC is on in December. Crazy!

September 29, 2011 | 7:25 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:26 am

LOL. Very creative comment. I'm also hoping for another shower, then he can clean my car!

September 29, 2011 | 7:26 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:28 am

Thank you! I bet we weren't the only ones outside washing cars!

September 29, 2011 | 7:28 am

Thank you! I bet we weren't the only ones outside washing cars!

September 29, 2011 | 7:28 am

Thank you. We are definitely in need of all the help, hope and prayers we can get.

September 29, 2011 | 7:28 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:30 am

If only the rain from the East could just mosey on down here, we'd be fine. I keep thinking that since it all goes back to the earth it will eventually find it's way to Texas, but I'm not sure that's scientifically correct. 🙂

September 29, 2011 | 7:30 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:30 am

Yes, 89 oppressive days of ridiculously hot weather! Don't worry about complaining, as soon as it hits 60, I'll start complaining about the cold!

September 29, 2011 | 7:30 am

September 29, 2011 | 7:31 am

Isn't that the truth? But in your case, the grass really IS greener…and mine is dead. Thanks for the visit!

September 29, 2011 | 7:31 am

49. Amanda Austin
    September 29, 2011 | 8:42 am

You're actually on to something, there.

I'm in Florida and we get those little showers every single day. It's great right now because we have these things called Lovebugs that are swarming the air and die tragically on our cars. They are highly acidic and can actually take the paint off your car. So gross.

50. Amanda Austin
    September 29, 2011 | 8:42 am

You're actually on to something, there.

51. Galit Breen
    September 29, 2011 | 1:23 pm

Totally clever and creative and green! 🙂

52. Galit Breen
    September 29, 2011 | 1:23 pm

Totally clever and creative and green! 🙂

September 29, 2011 | 3:40 pm

That's how we roll! Glad to see you again. 🙂

September 29, 2011 | 3:40 pm

That's how we roll! Glad to see you again. 🙂

September 29, 2011 | 3:41 pm

I totally had to google 'Lovebugs'. Those are the most disgusting things I've ever seen. What an inappropriate name!

September 29, 2011 | 3:41 pm