Touching Base

I’ve dubbed the next four weeks my “Month of Pain.” With Asher’s, birthday and my inevitable overspending at Christmas looming ahead, I’ve decided to buckle down and take any (and mostly all) shifts offered to me – within reason, I’m not a machine.

I think I have about four shifts scheduled per week, which may not seem like much but they take a lot out of me. Most days I don’t even sit down to pee until eight hours into a shift. Don’t mistake this as a complaint, being busy really helps the shift go by and I’m loving the work. I am constantly learning and it’s nice to feel myself growing again as a nurse. I look forward to going to work instead of dreading it, like before. I am happier both at home and at work and I feel like being in this new department is a big part of that.

Working more has given Elijah and I an opportunity to fine tune our homemaking skills as well. He is pulling more than his fair share of the weight in that department, coming home in the evenings and finishing laundry, straightening the house and completing any other tasks I’ve left on his “honey do” list. I am so grateful for his willingness to take on more to ensure that things still go smoothly for me and the kids. Working together, often on opposite schedules, can be difficult, and I miss our evening routine and conversations, but this is a short term absence and I think we’re handling it beautifully.

So don’t worry if I don’t check in as often.

Things are good.

I am happy.

12 Responses to Touching Base
  1. Kimberly
    October 19, 2011 | 9:57 pm

I'm sorry it's going to be so busy for you, but we will be here for you when you get back.

2. Kimberly
    October 19, 2011 | 9:57 pm

3. Jessica
    October 19, 2011 | 10:33 pm

Opposite schedules can be difficult but I'm glad to hear you are happy. Good luck in the next 4 weeks.

4. Jessica
    October 19, 2011 | 10:33 pm

October 20, 2011 | 7:57 am

Good for you and your husband!  Sounds like you are doing what needs to be done to enjoy life!

October 20, 2011 | 7:57 am

October 21, 2011 | 6:57 am

Thank you. I am going to do my best to stay connected but it's nice to know you won't forget me! 🙂

October 21, 2011 | 6:57 am

October 21, 2011 | 7:01 am

We have done the opposite schedule routine in the past, and we will continue for as long as I can physically keep up. I prefer working nights because it means I can be home with the kids. It's just been easier working two days a week and having several days to catch up with him in between. This will be interesting…almost like putting life on pause for a bit.

October 21, 2011 | 7:01 am

October 21, 2011 | 7:01 am

I am not known for buckling down, so I'm hoping this next couple of weeks just fly by and I can go back to slacking off, working just a few days a week!

October 21, 2011 | 7:01 am