Eight is Enough

My baby boy is eight years old. My firstborn. My Asher.
Oh. My. Heart.
He’s riding a bike and tying his shoes.
He’s taking the bus to school and having sleep overs.
He’s losing his teeth and trading his baby face for boyish good looks.

He’s still waking up before me, but he now makes his own breakfast.
He’s a loving big brother who adores and protects his sister.

He’s moving from me, towards his father. Big boy adventures with snuggling only at night.

He’s growing into more than I ever dreamed he’d be.

Linking this up with those wild and crazy
iPhone Photo Phun gals:

iPhone Photo Phun
32 Responses to Eight is Enough
  1. wendy
    November 8, 2011 | 5:01 pm

That was a great comment, It's always nice when our kids exceed our expectations! 🙂

2. wendy
    November 8, 2011 | 5:01 pm

3. bruna myers
    November 8, 2011 | 10:57 pm

He's a real cutie pie. They grow up so fast don't they? What a sweet pic of him and his baby sis. Love it!

4. bruna myers
    November 8, 2011 | 10:57 pm

5. Kristin
    November 9, 2011 | 11:02 am

My oldest is 7, she switches between this grown up I don't yet recgonize and a baby girl needing me. I suspect that will go on for a few years yet.
    Lovely pictures.

6. Kristin
    November 9, 2011 | 11:02 am

Lovely pictures.

November 9, 2011 | 12:35 pm

7 and 8 are such good ages…. they're sort of in between…. know what I mean? They're still little but growing more independent every day.

November 9, 2011 | 12:35 pm

9. Taming Insanity
    November 9, 2011 | 1:55 pm

As much as most of that stuff kills my heart a little, making his own breakfast does sound pretty good.

Happy 8th.

10. Taming Insanity
    November 9, 2011 | 1:55 pm

Happy 8th.

11. Greta @gfunkified
    November 9, 2011 | 5:15 pm

Sigh. I don't think I'm ready for that yet, but I'd better get there. My oldest is 6 now. Before I know it, he'll be doing all of these things, too. Sigh.

12. Greta @gfunkified
    November 9, 2011 | 5:15 pm

13. Jamie Leigh Ogden
    November 14, 2011 | 9:42 pm

Awww, this is so sweet.  He is a bonafide boy now, isn't he…no more baby, toddler, little, nothing but a big boy!  Life goes by so fast.  sniff

14. Jamie Leigh Ogden
    November 14, 2011 | 9:42 pm

15. Mamamash
    November 15, 2011 | 2:32 pm

He's a beautiful child. I have such a hard time with these posts, because I know I'll be there one day, but I can't even think about trading in my sweet-smelling toddler for a sweaty boy!  Although, that whole getting up and making his own breakfast thing sounds pretty nice.

16. Mamamash
    November 15, 2011 | 2:32 pm

November 17, 2011 | 1:44 pm

Don't worry about it. Even though Asher is eight, and sweaty, he is still the most darling little boy alive. He still wants to love on me (even at school!) and we always have cuddle time together in the evenings. Watching your little one grow into a boy is going to be wonderful!

November 17, 2011 | 1:44 pm

November 17, 2011 | 1:45 pm

Life does go by quickly. But I'm LOVING his boyhood, right now! 🙂

November 17, 2011 | 1:45 pm

Life does go by quickly. But I'm LOVING his boyhood, right now! 🙂

November 17, 2011 | 1:46 pm

I do love 7 and 8, although I think my favorite is still 4. Probably because they still have the baby fat AND are potty trained!

November 17, 2011 | 1:46 pm

November 17, 2011 | 1:48 pm

I read once that raising children is like suffering a series of deaths. You love who they've become but grieve for the little ones they once were. It truly is heartbreakingly beautiful.

But you'll just keep on having little ones over and over again, right?

November 17, 2011 | 1:48 pm

But you'll just keep on having little ones over and over again, right?

November 17, 2011 | 1:48 pm

I think I'll be less sad about Asher turning 9 if he learns to do his own laundry!

Seriously, though it's difficult to watch your babies grow up.

November 17, 2011 | 1:48 pm

Seriously, though it's difficult to watch your babies grow up.

November 17, 2011 | 1:50 pm

It truly is! And he has turned out so much better than I ever expected.

November 17, 2011 | 1:50 pm

It truly is! And he has turned out so much better than I ever expected.

November 17, 2011 | 1:50 pm

Thank you. It warms my heart that he's so sweet to his little sister. I hope he never grows out of that.

November 17, 2011 | 1:50 pm

November 17, 2011 | 1:51 pm

Asher is the same way…I think they want their independence, but it's also a bit scary.

November 17, 2011 | 1:51 pm