Two Baby or Not Two Baby

Today’s Monday Listicle is super awesome! As someone who has vacillated extensively between “our family is complete” and “wait, are you sure you don’t want another baby?” I have spent a lot of time going over both sides of the argument. That’s why I chose to write BOTH lists! Yippee – today’s listicle gives you two for the price of one!

10 reasons why I think we should have more children:

1. I’d love a house full of family for the holidays, or really any Sunday dinner. I imagine my children, their spouses and my grandbabies coming home, gathering around the table, sharing stories of their childhood antics and fighting over who was the favorite!

2. We already have a vehicle that can accommodate eight people so we wouldn’t have to buy a new car, even if we were blessed with multiples.

3. We make beautiful babies. Seriously. We should get some sort of award for the adorableness of our children.

4. Our house has plenty of room for another nursery.

5. I always wanted another baby boy, and I never got to use the name I’ve already chosen for him.

6. Being pregnant would make it so much easier to quit smoking!

7. A 50% increase in Trick-or-Treat candy!

8. Turning the guest bedroom into a nursery would make it impossible for my MIL to ever move in.

9. Another child would give us better odds at having someone to support us when we’re old and decrepit.

10. It’s the easiest way to lose eight pounds in one day!

10 reasons why I think we should NOT have more children:

1. I don’t think my my body nor my self-esteem could handle losing the 60+ pounds that always seem to accompany my pregnancies.

2. I’m really enjoying sleeping at least six hours every night and can’t imagine going back to two hour sleeping intervals.

3. We’re almost out of diaper land!

4. I’m quickly headed into the “high risk pregnancy” area.

5. Travel is one of our favorite hobbies, and five plane tickets is substantially more than four.

6. Having been the middle child, it makes me sad to think I’d be moving Amelia from baby girl to middle child.

7. We’re currently dealing with a two-year old…’nuff said.

8. Elijah’s motto is “never let your pets, or your kids, outnumber you.”

9. Although having a third baby wouldn’t tax our budget much more, the cost of alcohol we’d need to raise three kids would be enormous.

10. Therapy for our two children is already going to be more than we can afford. I don’t know how we’d pay to undo the damage to the third one.

So there you have it! Two lists, both with valid reasons, or at least OUR reasons for having or not having any more children.

78 Responses to Two Baby or Not Two Baby
  1. jentos23
    November 20, 2011 | 11:20 pm

Hahahaha!! Too funny! All great reasons to have and to NOT have more kids…love this 🙂

2. jentos23
    November 20, 2011 | 11:20 pm

3. Galit Breen
    November 20, 2011 | 11:36 pm

Hee! I love that you went for both sides!

Adnd OMG, I die at double the Halloween candy! 🙂

4. Galit Breen
    November 20, 2011 | 11:36 pm

Hee! I love that you went for both sides!

Adnd OMG, I die at double the Halloween candy! 🙂

5. Alison@Mama Wants This
    November 21, 2011 | 12:34 am

Being outnumbered is my greatest fear 😉 There should always be at least one parent per child, period. Heh.

6. Alison@Mama Wants This
    November 21, 2011 | 12:34 am

7. Stasha
    November 21, 2011 | 1:05 am

You are so funny! And you argue both sides so well, I am torn which one to support. Although thinking of #8 in pro list is making me think we should have another child or move to a two bedroom house STAT!

8. Stasha
    November 21, 2011 | 1:05 am

9. Tim@sogeshirts
    November 21, 2011 | 1:06 am

That is a tough one. You argued both sides well. Another pro reason though is that if your kids are all beautiful they could make a lot of money modeling and become superstars.

10. Tim@sogeshirts
    November 21, 2011 | 1:06 am

11. Katie E
    November 21, 2011 | 5:50 am

#3 on your pro list is one of the ones we couldn't resist. Our girls are awesome – why wouldn't we have another? I love all of your reasons – so funny, and so true. So many resonate with me – and mirror my thoughts before we decided to go for the third.

12. Katie E
    November 21, 2011 | 5:50 am

November 21, 2011 | 7:56 am

Your arguments are so compelling: more Halloween candy vs. the view of ending diapers. I couldn't (can't) decide either!

November 21, 2011 | 7:56 am

15. Twisted Domestic Goddess
    November 21, 2011 | 8:36 am

hahah yes the more halloween candy alone might totally make it worth it! Although well the whole sleep thing…I need at least 6 hours a night!

16. Twisted Domestic Goddess
    November 21, 2011 | 8:36 am

17. Erica M
    November 21, 2011 | 9:22 am

Forget your MIL. Sounds like you have enough room for my family to move in. How does Thursday work for you?

18. Erica M
    November 21, 2011 | 9:22 am

19. Just Jennifer
    November 21, 2011 | 10:50 am

TWO lists, hu? Over-achiever! Well, sounds like you're on the fence. You should definitely keep us posted if you make a firm decision either way!

20. Just Jennifer
    November 21, 2011 | 10:50 am

21. Greta @gfunkified
    November 21, 2011 | 11:35 am

Aw, see? I think you should have more, because the world needs more beautiful babies, and you need more Halloween candy (unless you want to come to my house and get some of the barrel full that we have).

22. Greta @gfunkified
    November 21, 2011 | 11:35 am

23. Taming Insanity
    November 21, 2011 | 12:48 pm

Yes, but having your mother-in-law move in would ALSO exponentially increase the amount of alcohol you'd buy. Think about it. Seriously.

24. Taming Insanity
    November 21, 2011 | 12:48 pm

25. Taming Insanity
    November 21, 2011 | 12:49 pm

Or, to be fair, having MY mother-in-law move in would drastically increase someone's alcohol intake. I've never met your MIL or heard you talk about her. I should try to pretend to be impartial.

26. Taming Insanity
    November 21, 2011 | 12:49 pm

27. Cookie's Mom
    November 21, 2011 | 2:36 pm

You almost had me converted to the 'reasons TO have more kids' camp with List One's #8. Very, very tempting. But then I was back in the 'reasons to NOT have more kids' camp following List Two's #s 8, 9, and 10. Thanks for the additional clarity! 🙂

Sounds like you have the perfect family already!

28. Cookie's Mom
    November 21, 2011 | 2:36 pm

Sounds like you have the perfect family already!

29. Kim Pugliano
    November 21, 2011 | 3:18 pm

I'm weighing the drinking against the smoking, even though I don't smoke, and I see your conflict.

30. Kim Pugliano
    November 21, 2011 | 3:18 pm

31. Madge
    November 21, 2011 | 3:24 pm

The very reason why we are going to live in a motorhome when we retire. 🙂

32. Madge
    November 21, 2011 | 3:24 pm

The very reason why we are going to live in a motorhome when we retire. 🙂

33. Amanda
    November 21, 2011 | 8:56 pm

Yep. I think two is the perfect number. My sister and her hubby got outnumbered by sneak attack and whenever we spend time with them I grab my Hubs by the arm and say, “After we have number two, you're getting snipped.”  But you know, to each her own and stuff.  🙂

34. Amanda
    November 21, 2011 | 8:56 pm

35. kiddothings
    November 22, 2011 | 3:11 am

Haha! I think we're on the same page with NOT having anymore! I like not having the kids outnumber you! 🙂

36. kiddothings
    November 22, 2011 | 3:11 am

November 22, 2011 | 1:08 pm

Oh the indecision is crazy, isn't it!  Just a glimpse into the future to see and know if it was the right choice, either way!

November 22, 2011 | 1:08 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:29 pm

I think no matter what you choose, once that little is place in your arms all bets are off.

It isn't until they turn 2 that you start wondering what in the world you were thinking!

November 22, 2011 | 6:29 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:30 pm

A very good point. My husband definitely prefers to play man-on-man.

November 22, 2011 | 6:30 pm

A very good point. My husband definitely prefers to play man-on-man.

November 22, 2011 | 6:30 pm

That's so true. Every time I think I want more, I always seem to change my mind after spending time with people who have more than two!

November 22, 2011 | 6:30 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:31 pm

Well, that would be your husband's MIL so same rules apply. Either way, I think the idea of not really having enough room for people to “camp out” with you is definitely an upside to expanding a family.

November 22, 2011 | 6:31 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:32 pm

If I could quit smoking but keep drinking while pregnant I might be 100% on board! 🙂

November 22, 2011 | 6:32 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:33 pm

I think my little family is perfect, but thank you for the sweet comment!

Elijah totally helped me with all of the points that you liked. 🙂

November 22, 2011 | 6:33 pm

I think my little family is perfect, but thank you for the sweet comment!

Elijah totally helped me with all of the points that you liked. 🙂

November 22, 2011 | 6:34 pm

I don't talk about my MIL…she reads my blog! 🙂 I think she knows that the drinking would increase exponentially though, for all of us.

November 22, 2011 | 6:34 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:35 pm

I might just take you up on that candy offer. We are almost out. Perhaps the extra Halloween candy is reason enough to have more babies.

I also agree that the world could use more beautiful people!

November 22, 2011 | 6:35 pm

I also agree that the world could use more beautiful people!

November 22, 2011 | 6:36 pm

I couldn't honestly just do one since our decision really isn't set in stone. At this point I think we're both just waiting to get too old to have to make the choice, but I'll definitely keep you posted.

November 22, 2011 | 6:36 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:37 pm

It would be perfect except I already have company coming and the hubs only bought a 12lb turkey! But we definitely have enough space to accommodate a family that would bring their own turkey. 🙂

November 22, 2011 | 6:37 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:38 pm

Sleep is definitely an issue for me these days. I'm working nights and am finding it hard enough to get a few hours in here and there without throwing another baby into the mix. Good point.

November 22, 2011 | 6:38 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:39 pm

I think I should just buy extra candy and end the diaper changing cycle once and for all!

November 22, 2011 | 6:39 pm

63. Erica M
    November 22, 2011 | 6:39 pm

We are not freeloaders. Bringing turkey.

64. Erica M
    November 22, 2011 | 6:39 pm

We are not freeloaders. Bringing turkey.

November 22, 2011 | 6:40 pm

I think that making the leap from 2 to 3 is much more difficult that just deciding to have a second baby. Three kids really changes the family dynamic…but it's true, having beautiful babies is definitely a selling point.

November 22, 2011 | 6:40 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:41 pm

Or they could end up like Britney Spears wearing velour sweat suits and eating fried chicken at their wedding!

November 22, 2011 | 6:41 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:42 pm

Move. It's cheaper and better for your marriage in the long run! 🙂

Love Monday Listicles, by the way!

November 22, 2011 | 6:42 pm

Move. It's cheaper and better for your marriage in the long run! 🙂

Love Monday Listicles, by the way!

November 22, 2011 | 6:43 pm

I can see you having at least four so don't think you're getting off the hook just because you're only pregnant with your second!

But yes, my friends who are outnumbered seem even more stressed out than I am and that's saying A LOT.

November 22, 2011 | 6:43 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:44 pm

I couldn't help it. As someone who broke the “two child” barrier you must understand the struggle between wanting to be finished with diapers and wanting another little one to love on.

November 22, 2011 | 6:44 pm

November 22, 2011 | 6:44 pm

That's the problem. I think all my reasons are good. 🙂

November 22, 2011 | 6:44 pm

That's the problem. I think all my reasons are good. 🙂

November 22, 2011 | 6:47 pm

That's perfect. And since you have three kids maybe I can see how the zone defense works!

November 22, 2011 | 6:47 pm