Marchin On

Today’s Monday Listicles comes from Amanda at Lilahbility. She asked us to talk about our hometowns. Since I don’t really have any ONE specific hometown, I thought I’d make a list of ten places I’ve lived throughout my life. Feel free to chime in if any of these places are familiar to you.

image source

1. City of Orange, California – Yep that’s right, I was born in the heart of the O.C. I don’t remember anything about this place though since I was only born there, but it’s totally my claim to fame so that’s where I’m starting my list.

2. Covina/San Dimas, California – While my parents were still married, at least until I was six or so, I lived in the town made famous by Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure!

This is pretty much how I remember Hesperia
image source

3. Hesperia, California – After my parent’s divorce, my four brothers and I lived with our father in a three bedroom home. This is the first home I really remember. I was a latch-key kid so had quite a bit of freedom to get acquainted with the neighborhood. These were some pretty wild times.

4. Hemet, California – At the age of 13, my father’s third marriage brought us to Hemet. I spent almost five years there, moving after my junior year in high school. I went to Hemet High School which counts James Lafferty of One Tree Hill and Coralie Simmons of the 2000 U.S. Olympic Water Polo Team as some of their graduates.

5. Orem/Provo, Utah – The summer before my senior year of high school my family moved to Utah. I graduated from Orem High School and went on to BYU. That’s right, I was raised Mormon, go ahead and pick your chin up off the floor. Interesting note: I was at BYU at the same time as Heather Armstrong, a.k.a. Dooce, I’m sure she remembers me.

I used to run through this park along the water.
image source

6. Larchmont, New York – After my short stint as a Mormon college student, I spent a year as a live-in nanny with a lovely family just outside of New York City. It was one of the most amazing years of my life. NYC is everything people say it is…only better.

7. Monterey, California – At 22, I joined the USAF, and started language training at the Defense Language Institute. There I met my gorgeous husband and convinced him to marry me.

8. San Angelo, Texas – I spent six months finishing up my language training here. I didn’t have a car and only took one trip to Dallas, but I was introduced to one of the best restaurants ever and The Peasant Village is still going strong today!

9. Pasadena, Maryland – After living in an apartment for a year or so, we bought our first home, a three story townhouse. My father grew up in Pasadena, California so it was neat to be living in another Pasadena back East. We brought our son, Asher, home from the hospital to this house and lived here until April of 2005.

10. Moore, Oklahoma – Once Elijah and I were discharged from the service we moved to Oklahoma. Elijah had been raised there and I really wanted to have Asher grow up with lots of family nearby. Amelia came home to this house, but we moved shortly after her birth to Texas, where we are now and will NEVER move again!

Looking back over this list, and there were some moves that I left out, I’m realizing why I hate to move. I like to be in one place, get comfortable, make friends, grow old, and then die. I’m not interested in bouncing around from place to place. We can travel if we need to see more of the world!

42 Responses to Marchin On
  1. Crittersandcrayons
    December 12, 2011 | 8:48 am

Y'know what?  We have a lot in common-  I was in the Army and so was my dad- so we moved a lot-  I went to John Glenn Junior High School in San Angelo, Texas for half a year when we moved mid-year back in the nineties!  I'm out now, too.  I knew I liked your blog.  🙂

2. Crittersandcrayons
    December 12, 2011 | 8:48 am

3. kiddothings
    December 12, 2011 | 9:10 am

Wow, you've moved a lot! I can understand your need to feel grounded now. It's nice to have a place to finally call home and never move again! 🙂

4. kiddothings
    December 12, 2011 | 9:10 am

5. Ado
    December 12, 2011 | 9:32 am

Does anyone ever tell you “you get around”?
    You sure do!
    Loved this list, from a fellow California

6. Ado
    December 12, 2011 | 9:32 am

Does anyone ever tell you “you get around”?
    You sure do!
    Loved this list, from a fellow California

December 12, 2011 | 9:48 am

The funny thing is that I only moved three times with the Air Force. All the other moves (and there are more than I listed) were parent induced! I really enjoyed what I saw of San Angelo, which was pretty much the base and some food places nearby.

December 12, 2011 | 9:48 am

December 12, 2011 | 9:50 am

That's the main thing I wanted when we were looking at houses out here. I wanted someplace we could grow into, in a good neighborhood, with schools I wanted to send my kids school. That way, they could stay in the same home their entire childhood. I totally envy the fact that my husband did that.

December 12, 2011 | 9:50 am

December 12, 2011 | 9:52 am

What can I say, I'm easy like that. 🙂

I've even been “around” your hubby's way – spent a week in Dublin in 2009. We can't wait to go back with our kids, it was such an amazing trip.

December 12, 2011 | 9:52 am

What can I say, I'm easy like that. 🙂

13. Erica M
    December 12, 2011 | 10:37 am

As bored as I am making it happen, I'm proud of myself for staying put so my kids can grow up with a core group of friends. If it were up to my nomadic nature, we'd be on some boat in the Pacific running some kind of bead business.

14. Erica M
    December 12, 2011 | 10:37 am

15. beautifulspitup
    December 12, 2011 | 1:03 pm

Great list idea! Crazy that you've lived in so many places and yet you hate to move. HA! I'm the same way. I've lived all over and I can't stand the drama of moving.

16. beautifulspitup
    December 12, 2011 | 1:03 pm

17. Stasha
    December 12, 2011 | 1:09 pm

We are still on the move every three years rotation and I truly hope my Husband decided to change that this time around. I like staying put now that we are a family. And I totally think Dooce  used to wish you would move your head so she could copy your answers on tests 🙂

18. Stasha
    December 12, 2011 | 1:09 pm

December 12, 2011 | 1:44 pm

Isn't that funny, I moved constantly and hated it, while my husband stayed put but would have liked to move. I guess it doesn't matter what we do so you might want to look into that bead business idea. 🙂

December 12, 2011 | 1:44 pm

December 12, 2011 | 1:45 pm

That was the main reason we didn't stay in the military. I wanted to stay put or move when I felt like, not just when I got orders.

And yeah, the copying thing…totally. 🙂

December 12, 2011 | 1:45 pm

And yeah, the copying thing…totally. 🙂

December 12, 2011 | 1:47 pm

All that moving wasn't really my choice. Especially at first. This move to Texas was definitely our last. We are settled and happy and I can't imagine any reason I'd have to leave before both kids finish High School. The End.

December 12, 2011 | 1:47 pm

25. Barbara
    December 12, 2011 | 2:07 pm

I know what you mean about not wanting to keep moving.  I'm still waiting for the place where we can actually put in some roots.

26. Barbara
    December 12, 2011 | 2:07 pm

27. Alison@Mama Wants This
    December 12, 2011 | 5:05 pm

That's a lot of places! I lived in the same house, same town for 17 years before I moved out.

28. Alison@Mama Wants This
    December 12, 2011 | 5:05 pm

29. shellthings
    December 12, 2011 | 5:35 pm

You've had a lot of moves!

I'm so over moving. I want to stay in one place forever. Just not this one. LOL

30. shellthings
    December 12, 2011 | 5:35 pm

You've had a lot of moves!

I'm so over moving. I want to stay in one place forever. Just not this one. LOL

December 12, 2011 | 9:25 pm

Yes, far too many moves. I'm am done with that. It was one of the prerequisites for the house we're living in now.

December 12, 2011 | 9:25 pm

December 12, 2011 | 9:33 pm

I am so envious of people like you. I always wanted to stay put, but my childhood just didn't end up being that way. I think that's why I want my kids to have a stable life in the same home and neighborhood throughout their childhood.

December 12, 2011 | 9:33 pm

December 12, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Yes, exactly. Roots are good! You'll find your place soon enough. 🙂

December 12, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Yes, exactly. Roots are good! You'll find your place soon enough. 🙂

December 12, 2011 | 10:11 pm

Wow! you really were all over the place. And I agree, there really is no place like NYC!

December 12, 2011 | 10:11 pm

39. Mamamash
    December 14, 2011 | 9:13 am

You moved around quite a bit! We did too. I hope by the time my son begins school we've settled on one place!

40. Mamamash