Promises, Promises

The first Monday Listicles topic of the year was submitted by A Mountain Momma and I love it! It’s a twist on the normal New Year’s Resolutions that we all feel obligated to make.

Here is my list of 10 New Year’s Resolutions I will never keep:

1. Get more sleep. This is impossible. Aside from my crazy overnights at the hospital, there is no way I could nap any more than I already do and still keep the house and family somewhat organized. Also, how would I find time for my bloggy and twitter friends if i slept as much as I should.

2. Spend less money on take-out and fast food. Sometimes ordering pizza, rather than rummaging through the cupboards trying to round up a home cooked meal, is the only highlight of my day.

3. Drink less wine. And more beer?

4. Wear “real clothes” more often than pajamas. Okay, maybe I’ll do this if I’m leaving the house, unless it’s just to pick up dinner…otherwise I don’t see the point.

5. Stop nagging. Because I want to pick up, put away, and clean everything in 2012?!

6. Keep my car clean and wash it regularly. As much as I hate the fact that my mom-mobile looks the part, having random toys/snackfoods hidden between the seats has saved me several times.

7. Control my Gymboree shopping habit. Thus ruining my children’s future social life by not dressing them like they walked out of a catalog. Isn’t it bad enough that their mother only wears pajamas?

8. Have the TV off more than on. With one child this was easier. Amelia, however loves “watching something” and frankly, so do I. Watching her dance along with the Wiggles is just too adorable to deny myself this year.

9. Fold and put away clean clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer. If there isn’t anything on my DVR I can’t possibly be expected to fold laundry, right?

10. Keep my bedroom clean and organized. Ha! I could totally do this at the expense of all the other rooms in the house. After picking up everyone else’s crap you can’t possibly expect me to have the time and/or energy to pick up my own!

I’m so excited to have a list of 10 Resolutions I’m not expected to keep.

I think it’s the perfect way to start off 2012.

64 Responses to Promises, Promises
  1. terrisonoda
    January 2, 2012 | 5:05 pm

Perfect list.  I love the way you think!   Numbers 2,3 and 4 Priceless.  And so true!

2. terrisonoda
    January 2, 2012 | 5:05 pm

3. paul
    January 2, 2012 | 5:30 pm

Love your list, especially 5
    It is the perfect way to start the new year
    Hope 2012 is good to you

4. paul
    January 2, 2012 | 5:30 pm

Love your list, especially 5
    It is the perfect way to start the new year
    Hope 2012 is good to you

5. Stacey
    January 2, 2012 | 6:35 pm

My bedroom is the biggest dumping spot in the whole house. I always feel like such a hypocrite when I make the kids clean their room. Mine is a pig sty.

6. Stacey
    January 2, 2012 | 6:35 pm

7. Laura Purkey
    January 2, 2012 | 6:53 pm

Our bedroom is our last priority for cleaning and it gets to be a dumping ground for laundry, piles of paper, and anything else we want out of sight if people are coming over.  I can identify with a lot of the things on your list, actually.  Laundry was on my list, too! 🙂 Happy 2012!

8. Laura Purkey
    January 2, 2012 | 6:53 pm

9. Stasha
    January 2, 2012 | 7:18 pm

Love how you did this. #3 made me laugh (well they all did) and #5 is the answer to my life finally making sense. Happy 2012. Let us resolve to no resolutions and have fun instead!

10. Stasha
    January 2, 2012 | 7:18 pm

11. Greta
    January 2, 2012 | 10:09 pm

HAHAHAHA! I LOVE IT. The bedoom cleaning, the sleeping, the dirty car. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps the tv on too much. Or should I say, “too much”, because really, who's to say?

12. Greta
    January 2, 2012 | 10:09 pm

13. Kimberly
    January 2, 2012 | 11:16 pm

The last one made me laugh. I always clean our bedroom last and the mess and misplaced stuff from the other rooms gets put into our room to “hide”. But by the time I'm done cleaning the rest of the house I run out of energy!

14. Kimberly
    January 2, 2012 | 11:16 pm

15. Cookie's Mom
    January 3, 2012 | 12:13 pm

Folding? Organizing? Controlled spending? No more nagging? Pshaw. Pass the wine! 🙂 Happy new year!!

16. Cookie's Mom
    January 3, 2012 | 12:13 pm

January 3, 2012 | 1:15 pm

That's a most inspiring list and could be mine (esp. the last three.) On my list would be to get my children to help to those things….putting laundry away, the house organized and NO TV. I'm determined to make a dent in TV time this year. Here's to a great 2012.

January 3, 2012 | 1:15 pm

19. Janice
    January 3, 2012 | 6:43 pm

Luandry and clean my room? What am I, perfect mom? I'm with you! I have no time to clean up after myself after I've cleaned up everyone else's mess.  And folding laundry is overrated anyway.  The kids don't mind living out of hampers…

20. Janice
    January 3, 2012 | 6:43 pm

21. Kathryn
    January 3, 2012 | 7:38 pm

Genius, I say!

22. Kathryn
    January 3, 2012 | 7:38 pm

Genius, I say!

23. Barbara
    January 4, 2012 | 4:18 am

These are great!!  I could never give up drinking wine, maybe I should resolve to drink more wine. That would definitely be a keeper.

24. Barbara
    January 4, 2012 | 4:18 am

January 4, 2012 | 10:48 am

Thanks, I love the list as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to NOT keep all of these this year!

January 4, 2012 | 10:48 am

January 4, 2012 | 10:50 am

Thanks. I'm pretty partial to nagging, I think keeping it is a good plan.

Have a wonderful 2012 as well!

January 4, 2012 | 10:50 am

Thanks. I'm pretty partial to nagging, I think keeping it is a good plan.

Have a wonderful 2012 as well!

January 4, 2012 | 10:51 am

That's exactly how I feel! But I really think that if I was only required to clean that ONE place in the entire house, it'd be spotless.

January 4, 2012 | 10:51 am

January 4, 2012 | 10:52 am

I try so hard to keep everyone else's stuff out of our bedroom, but it never works. Calling it a dumping ground is fairly apt. Here's to hoping I can dig out sometime this year and maybe find my favorite pair of pajamas hidden under all that crap!

January 4, 2012 | 10:52 am

January 4, 2012 | 10:54 am

I really loved this topic. I'm really feeling good about starting a new year w/o dreading the guilt of not following through with resolutions.

Not sure anyone else in my family is feeling the same. 🙂

January 4, 2012 | 10:54 am

Not sure anyone else in my family is feeling the same. 🙂

January 4, 2012 | 10:56 am

I'm glad you enjoyed my list. I thought your 2011 photo list was so sweet.

I've learned that in order to keep the TV watching to a minimum, I have to send my kids to school and or daycare. It's impossible to get things done with Amelia underfoot, and she is terrible about playing by herself.

January 4, 2012 | 10:56 am

I'm glad you enjoyed my list. I thought your 2011 photo list was so sweet.

January 4, 2012 | 10:58 am

You are also GROWING A HUMAN, so you shouldn't be expected to do anything but focus on building arms, legs, fingers and toes. I say, leave all your housework to people who aren't already working on something 24/7.

January 4, 2012 | 10:58 am

January 4, 2012 | 10:58 am

Happy New Year to you! So glad you understand the importance of my list. 🙂

January 4, 2012 | 10:58 am

Happy New Year to you! So glad you understand the importance of my list. 🙂

January 4, 2012 | 11:01 am

I do find that I spend more energy getting my children to help than I would if I'd just do it myself. It's a struggle but I realize it's important for them to learn responsibility.

Good luck with the TV restrictions. I envy your determination to make that sacrifice.

January 4, 2012 | 11:01 am

January 4, 2012 | 11:02 am

I have gotten Asher to put his clothes away which is a step in the right direction. At least I get my hampers back after they're left in his room!

January 4, 2012 | 11:02 am

January 4, 2012 | 11:04 am

I promise to send you this list in 2015. By then you'll be tired enough to settle for a non-resolution list.

January 4, 2012 | 11:04 am

January 4, 2012 | 11:04 am

That's an excellent resolution! I think I'll save it for 2013!

Happy New Year!

January 4, 2012 | 11:04 am

That's an excellent resolution! I think I'll save it for 2013!

Happy New Year!

49. Emily
    January 4, 2012 | 5:35 pm

Super hilarious!

50. Emily
    January 4, 2012 | 5:35 pm

Super hilarious!

51. Audrey
    January 4, 2012 | 10:38 pm

Bahahahahaha Fantastic list! I LOVE #2 and #7!

52. Audrey
    January 4, 2012 | 10:38 pm

Bahahahahaha Fantastic list! I LOVE #2 and #7!

January 5, 2012 | 11:28 am

Since having kids, and especially after Amelia was born, Gymboree is like crack to me. I can't even walk in without blowing my budget. I don't “browse” Gymboree!

January 5, 2012 | 11:28 am

January 5, 2012 | 11:29 am

Thank you. I enjoyed writing this list on non-resolutions.

January 5, 2012 | 11:29 am

Thank you. I enjoyed writing this list on non-resolutions.

57. Cookie's Mom
    January 5, 2012 | 6:42 pm

Here's what I did when I built this house: I installed a laundry room right next to the master room closet. When stuff comes out of the dryer, I hang it up on a rod that is basically an extension of the master closet. No folding. No ironing. No need to put it 'away'. (You have to live someplace fairly dry for this to work.) Everything I do now, I do with the intention of supporting my natural tendency towards sloth! Great list. Found myself nodding and laughing along with each one!

58. Cookie's Mom
    January 5, 2012 | 6:42 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:55 pm

That's brilliant! I've seen it before in other homes, now I'm starting to wonder if I could do that with mine…

I think I may need your help in organizing my life to flow better with my sloth. You could be like my slothy-yoda.

January 5, 2012 | 11:55 pm

61. Cookie's Mom
    January 6, 2012 | 6:42 am

Slothy-yoda. LOL Love that, I do! Take that on, I would, if I weren't already occupied… doing nothing.

62. Cookie's Mom
    January 6, 2012 | 6:42 am

January 6, 2012 | 9:01 am

Alright, blog stalking, my sloth yoda, it is!

January 6, 2012 | 9:01 am

Alright, blog stalking, my sloth yoda, it is!