The Best Kind of Dozen

Elijah and I celebrated 12 years of happily ever after, December 30, 2011.

We don’t usually make a big deal of our anniversary. We rarely go out to celebrate, opting instead to grill out, open a bottle of wine and snuggle in front of a movie after putting the kids to bed.

Often we don’t even exchange gifts, or we simply buy ourselves something from the other person.

Like every other aspect of our marriage, we do what works for us.

This year we took a night out. Left our kids with random visiting members of our family and escaped for an evening that included a quiet dinner, adult conversation and a late movie in downtown Austin.

It was perfect.

Low-key, yet delicious dinner at Cover 3.

Good clean fun.

Brownie for him, key lime pie for me.

Late movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz on 6th Street, Downtown Austin

Movies are always better with beer!

Extra Special “cool” points for any one who can guess what movie we watched.
Linking up with #iPPP
I’m also going to link up to my FIRST EVER Lovelinks
because this post is all about love.

lovelinkin.com
124 Responses to The Best Kind of Dozen
  1. Erica M
    January 4, 2012 | 1:33 pm

Aw, thanks for linking up! We don't call it lovelinks because it's for posts about love; we call it lovelinks because we travel around showing love to blogs that link up. You are now causing me to rethink the name.

2. Erica M
    January 4, 2012 | 1:33 pm

January 4, 2012 | 1:40 pm

Don't change the name, it's perfect! I was just making a play off it.

Previously, when I was invited to participate, I told Alison that I hadn't been writing anything “me” lately. While this is about love, it's actually one of my first posts this year that's “me.” And that's why I linked up.

January 4, 2012 | 1:40 pm

Don't change the name, it's perfect! I was just making a play off it.

5. Erica M
    January 4, 2012 | 1:50 pm

Okay, whew! I tossed a few new names around for about six seconds then gave up. I'm glad you rescued me. Alison has introduced so many good people to lovelinks. Yay for posts that are “me”!

6. Erica M
    January 4, 2012 | 1:50 pm

January 4, 2012 | 2:09 pm

We have a December anniversary too. We are always at a party and this year was no exception. Glad you had a quiet romantic eventing — just the two of you.

January 4, 2012 | 2:09 pm

9. sperk77
    January 4, 2012 | 3:05 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary!

10. sperk77
    January 4, 2012 | 3:05 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary!

11. Greta @gfunkified
    January 4, 2012 | 3:14 pm

I'll be voting for you at lovelinks tomorrow! Happy anniversary to you two! I have no idea what movie that is….guess I'm not very cool. But I knew that already. 🙂 Yay for adult-only nights out and “random visiting family members”!

12. Greta @gfunkified
    January 4, 2012 | 3:14 pm

13. Mindy
    January 4, 2012 | 3:44 pm

Was it really 12 years ago that we drove to that storage shed and searched for your wedding dress by the headlights of a car? And found it! Happy Anniversary!

14. Mindy
    January 4, 2012 | 3:44 pm

15. Taminginsanity
    January 4, 2012 | 4:50 pm

I want to eat your dinner. Happy anniversary!

16. Taminginsanity
    January 4, 2012 | 4:50 pm

I want to eat your dinner. Happy anniversary!

17. Mama and the City
    January 4, 2012 | 4:51 pm

OMG! a) 12 years!!!! they go fast. You guys look so young. I'm almost 10 yrs with my honey. b) Your hubbs seems to be a hottie. c) so funny the poking of the nose. d) that brownie has to make its way over here! I mean it. It looks so yummy.

Virtual hugs and kisses to you Marina, wishing you a great year ahead.

18. Mama and the City
    January 4, 2012 | 4:51 pm

Virtual hugs and kisses to you Marina, wishing you a great year ahead.

19. Clarike Bowman-Jahn
    January 4, 2012 | 4:57 pm

Congrats on your anniversary.
    We're up for fifteen this Jan 25.
    *Yay*

Cool night out with great photos.

20. Clarike Bowman-Jahn
    January 4, 2012 | 4:57 pm

Congrats on your anniversary.
    We're up for fifteen this Jan 25.
    *Yay*

Cool night out with great photos.

21. Emily
    January 4, 2012 | 5:34 pm

Good call on the key lime pie. That is my favorite dessert ever. Congrats!

22. Emily
    January 4, 2012 | 5:34 pm

Good call on the key lime pie. That is my favorite dessert ever. Congrats!

23. Tomekha McCarthy
    January 4, 2012 | 7:15 pm

Congrats on ur anniversary!!!! May blessings continually rain on your marriage and life.

24. Tomekha McCarthy
    January 4, 2012 | 7:15 pm

25. ACB
    January 4, 2012 | 8:06 pm

Loved the photo of the two of you having good, clean fun. (-:
    I've never been to Austin but it's one of those places I would love to live – lots of art, loads of music, a buzz in the air…or so I've heard. Lucky you!
    I also love the “doing what works for us” thing esp. when you have kids.
    I must buy myself something now and say it was from my husband!

26. ACB
    January 4, 2012 | 8:06 pm

Loved the photo of the two of you having good, clean fun. (-:
    I also love the “doing what works for us” thing esp. when you have kids.
    I must buy myself something now and say it was from my husband!

27. Kathryn
    January 4, 2012 | 8:21 pm

I cannot believe it has been 12 years! Not that I knew you for all of those years. But half ain't bad. Congratulations! You two are some of my very favorite people and this post made me smile. ox

28. Kathryn
    January 4, 2012 | 8:21 pm

29. KindredAdventures
    January 4, 2012 | 8:26 pm

Welcome to Love Links.  What a beautiful place you have here.  My husband and I celebrate our anniversaries similarly.  Isn't it awesome to get out.  I LOVE the pictures you added.  They tell the story as well as words do.  Unfortunately, I will not be earning cool points tonight.  I do not know what that movie is.  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! -LV visiting from LoveLinks

30. KindredAdventures
    January 4, 2012 | 8:26 pm

31. Angela
    January 4, 2012 | 8:31 pm

Happy Happy Anniversary!  That looks like exactly the type of date my husband and I would go on 🙂

32. Angela
    January 4, 2012 | 8:31 pm

January 4, 2012 | 8:44 pm

Aren't they the best? Our dates are often low-key but super awesome because we're together.

January 4, 2012 | 8:44 pm

January 4, 2012 | 8:45 pm

Don't worry, it's okay to be married with kids and uncool…the movie was Beerfest. One of our favorite movies ever!

January 4, 2012 | 8:45 pm

January 4, 2012 | 8:46 pm

Same to you…and more! Did you not recognize the movie? We totally got it for you for Christmas one year.  Ahhh, good times. 🙂

January 4, 2012 | 8:46 pm

January 4, 2012 | 8:48 pm

Let me just say that Austin is as amazing as people say it is. I am so glad we moved here. If you ever have to chance to come out please let me know. I'll clue you in to all the “old people” hang outs because that's pretty much all I know about!

January 4, 2012 | 8:48 pm

41. Stasha
    January 4, 2012 | 8:49 pm

Happy Anniversary! Love that photo of you two lovebirds!

42. Stasha
    January 4, 2012 | 8:49 pm

Happy Anniversary! Love that photo of you two lovebirds!

January 4, 2012 | 8:49 pm

Thank you! So far, so good!

January 4, 2012 | 8:49 pm

Thank you! So far, so good!

January 4, 2012 | 8:51 pm

It really is the best. I order it whenever it's available. Thank you!

January 4, 2012 | 8:51 pm

It really is the best. I order it whenever it's available. Thank you!

January 4, 2012 | 8:57 pm

Thank you. Fifteen years is nothing to sneeze at, either. Congrats!

January 4, 2012 | 8:57 pm

Thank you. Fifteen years is nothing to sneeze at, either. Congrats!

January 4, 2012 | 8:59 pm

It was so delicious. I'm sure you'll have some delicious anniversary meals in your future.

January 4, 2012 | 8:59 pm

January 4, 2012 | 9:03 pm

YES! You are such an amazing friend to remember. And to have “rented” me your car for that week. What would I have done without you!

January 4, 2012 | 9:03 pm

January 4, 2012 | 9:05 pm

They definitely do go fast. Thanks for the compliment, I'm feeling old these days. And yes, my hubs is a TOTAL hottie…but don't worry, he really does pick his nose. I would have given you that brownie, but it wasn't mine and he ate the whole thing.

January 4, 2012 | 9:05 pm

55. Diana Kapaldo
    January 4, 2012 | 10:39 pm

Happy Anniversary! It's great to hunker down at home for date night, but a special treat to get out for dinner and a movie.

56. Diana Kapaldo
    January 4, 2012 | 10:39 pm

57. Galit Breen
    January 4, 2012 | 10:54 pm

Happy anniversary! Looks like such an amazing night out! Low key, “clean fun,” and um- chocolate! Perfect. 🙂

58. Galit Breen
    January 4, 2012 | 10:54 pm

59. Mynewfavoriteday
    January 4, 2012 | 11:05 pm

So fun! A little date night is always good even when you don't do it all that often.  Happy Anniversary!

60. Mynewfavoriteday
    January 4, 2012 | 11:05 pm

61. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 4, 2012 | 11:24 pm

Happy 12th Anniversary! Sounds like the perfect date night. (and yay for linking with lovelinks)

62. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 4, 2012 | 11:24 pm

63. Jenny O'Quinn
    January 4, 2012 | 11:29 pm

I'm glad to know we're not the only ones who don't go all out for anniversaries! People usually look at me funny if I say we stayed in, or when I don't have an answer for what my anniversary gift was… And that makes it extra, extra special when you do something out of the ordinary. Happy anniversary!!

64. Jenny O'Quinn
    January 4, 2012 | 11:29 pm

65. XLMIC
    January 4, 2012 | 11:44 pm

Happy Anniversary! Sounds to me like a perfect celebration! I love movie houses that also serve beer and food…does that one also serve food? Do tell what movie! Please!

66. XLMIC
    January 4, 2012 | 11:44 pm

67. Kimberly
    January 5, 2012 | 12:25 am

Happy Anniversary! So glad you had a date night! We do need them every once in a while. That brownie looks delicious!

68. Kimberly
    January 5, 2012 | 12:25 am

69. Mama and the City
    January 5, 2012 | 12:55 am

When you are in Canada we are so going for brownies.

70. Mama and the City
    January 5, 2012 | 12:55 am

When you are in Canada we are so going for brownies.

71. Stacey
    January 5, 2012 | 8:58 am

Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated 14 years in November. Man it flies! It looks like a lovely night out. I don't know about you, but I'm pushing for a trip for year 15…

72. Stacey
    January 5, 2012 | 8:58 am

73. Alison
    January 5, 2012 | 10:27 am

Happy Anniversary! Good on you for doing something different, looks like you enjoyed it. My fav pic is the desserts – they look awesome!! xx

74. Alison
    January 5, 2012 | 10:27 am

75. Jennifer Hall
    January 5, 2012 | 11:11 am

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I celebrated 13 years last July. We too went out, but it was kinda silly. Like you tho, it worked for us!

76. Jennifer Hall
    January 5, 2012 | 11:11 am

77. Mamamash
    January 5, 2012 | 12:50 pm

Happy anniversary! Austin is such a cool city for a celebration. You guys are adorable.

78. Mamamash
    January 5, 2012 | 12:50 pm

79. Jamie Walker
    January 5, 2012 | 1:47 pm

Our anni is 12/27 and we did dinner and a movie… I think I whined approximately 112 times about why our theater doesn't serve wine with the movie.  I mean what the hell!!

80. Jamie Walker
    January 5, 2012 | 1:47 pm

81. Julie Height
    January 5, 2012 | 1:59 pm

Happy Anniversary, your evening looks spectacular!

82. Julie Height
    January 5, 2012 | 1:59 pm

Happy Anniversary, your evening looks spectacular!

January 5, 2012 | 4:06 pm

Thank you so much. We had a wonderful time!

January 5, 2012 | 4:06 pm

Thank you so much. We had a wonderful time!

January 5, 2012 | 4:07 pm

That should no longer be allowed! We only go to Alamo Drafthouse now because you just can't watch a movie without booze. 🙂

On another note, I realized that when you switched to WP I lost you so I rectified that today. I was wondering why you hadn't written anything in a while. Duh!

January 5, 2012 | 4:07 pm

January 5, 2012 | 4:08 pm

Thank you. It's been a wonderful 12 years and getting to live near Austin just makes the celebration sweeter.

January 5, 2012 | 4:08 pm

January 5, 2012 | 4:08 pm

My favorite nights out are the silly ones. It's more our style. We even wore matchy-matchy button ups and cowboy boots.

January 5, 2012 | 4:08 pm

January 5, 2012 | 4:09 pm

Thank you!

The entire meal was good! We didn't get pictures of the food because we were too busy stuffing our faces!

January 5, 2012 | 4:09 pm

Thank you!

93. jessica Gardner
    January 5, 2012 | 4:20 pm

Happy Anniversary! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my blog! Loved reading through yours too 🙂

94. jessica Gardner
    January 5, 2012 | 4:20 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:33 pm

Thank you! I'm glad you made a visit as well!

January 5, 2012 | 11:33 pm

Thank you! I'm glad you made a visit as well!

January 5, 2012 | 11:34 pm

15 years definitely deserves a trip.

We've done a few couples only vacations after having our first son, but the last one (to Ireland) was over three years ago, so I think we'll be due by then!

January 5, 2012 | 11:34 pm

15 years definitely deserves a trip.

January 5, 2012 | 11:36 pm

It is nice to have a date night every so often, but we don't find it necessary. We have always been home bodies and enjoy staying in almost as much. The main difference is the dishes and the fact that wearing pajamas in restaurants is frowned upon.

January 5, 2012 | 11:36 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:38 pm

Thank you. The Alamo serves food as well. And they don't charge any extra than the other movie places for admission. I can't imagine seeing a movie any where else.

The movie we saw was Beerfest. Hilarious, older film made by the guys who did Super Troopers.

January 5, 2012 | 11:38 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:39 pm

Thank you! I've found that most of our relationship is pretty unconventional, but we've been around for 12 years and we're still blissfully happy so that says something to me. You keep on doing what you're doing, as long as it works for you, that's what matters.

January 5, 2012 | 11:39 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:40 pm

It's been a great 12 years! And I'm thrilled to have gotten something up with lovelinks FINALLY!

January 5, 2012 | 11:40 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:41 pm

We did have a great time. Little date nights are more our speed…we're old before our time, I guess!

January 5, 2012 | 11:41 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:42 pm

Thank you. We had a lovely time, and yes, chocolate makes everything more perfect.

January 5, 2012 | 11:42 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:43 pm

Thank you. It was a nice treat, especially since we didn't have to pay for a babysitter!

January 5, 2012 | 11:43 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:44 pm

Thank you! Are you referring to the one where the father of my children has his finger in his nose? I have several variations of it, maybe I should do a post on that…

January 5, 2012 | 11:44 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:44 pm

Thank you. You guys must have excellent dating taste. 🙂

January 5, 2012 | 11:44 pm

Thank you. You guys must have excellent dating taste. 🙂

January 5, 2012 | 11:45 pm

Brownies and booze!

January 5, 2012 | 11:45 pm

Brownies and booze!

January 5, 2012 | 11:47 pm

Thank you. Our December anniversary happened by chance (shotgunish type wedding, w/o the whole being knocked up) but we don't really mind. We'll sometimes celebrate on a completely different day because that time is too busy to squeeze something in.

January 5, 2012 | 11:47 pm

January 5, 2012 | 11:47 pm

Thank you!

January 5, 2012 | 11:47 pm

Thank you!

January 5, 2012 | 11:49 pm

You are too sweet! I'm thrilled that everything worked out with our family so we didn't have to pay a babysitter. I'm considering making that a permanent “charge” for any one who wants to stay in our guest room.

We watched Beerfest. It's one of our favorites.

January 5, 2012 | 11:49 pm

We watched Beerfest. It's one of our favorites.