Perfect Enough

I sneak into the house just as the sun begins to rise. I’m hoping that the garage door doesn’t wake anyone because a few minutes to myself would be nice.

My feet are swollen and my back is sore after twelve hours of abuse. Leaving my shoes in the garage, I head upstairs to wash away the previous night.

I stand in the spray recalling the litany of faces, names and room numbers, trying to determine if there was anything I missed.

Anything more I could have done.

Anything that I should have said.

Anything I need to know better for next time.

This mental recap is a post shift ritual. Methodically calling up past events and actions helps me wind down and actually keeps me from tossing and turning in bed. Some nights this exercise works better than others. It’s not surprising that those are usually the nights when I feel I’ve done my best.

More often than not, though, I wonder if I did enough, know enough, if I’ll ever be enough.

I also wonder if it’s even possible in my line of work to really ever be enough. The learning curve is steep, the rules change often and mistakes can be fatal.

Regardless of how the recap plays out, I will still fall asleep feeling better. Being willing to review my actions and their outcomes objectively, looking for ways to overcome my flaws, as well as realizing what I’ve done well, gives me a sense of pride.

I may sometimes be imperfect.

I may often be flawed.

But if I do my best,

If I’m willing to work harder,

move faster,

learn quicker,

I can be enough.

Also linking up with this week’s lovelinks, since I enjoyed it
so much last week!

116 Responses to Perfect Enough
  1. Missy | Literal Mom
    January 9, 2012 | 10:17 am

That's a good ritual.  I'm sure it is cathartic too, in that it helps you put your work shift behind you – as much as you can.  It sounds stressful, your job!  Thanks for linking up with JBE.

2. Missy | Literal Mom
    January 9, 2012 | 10:17 am

3. Angela
    January 9, 2012 | 10:27 am

You ARE enough.  Just having the consideration to review your job and to want to push yourself to be better?  That's more than many people do.

Thanks for linking up with JBE 🙂

4. Angela
    January 9, 2012 | 10:27 am

Thanks for linking up with JBE 🙂

5. Mary Johnson
    January 9, 2012 | 10:54 am

I do that as well but did not realize just how good it was until I read this.  Keep on keeping on!

6. Mary Johnson
    January 9, 2012 | 10:54 am

January 9, 2012 | 2:34 pm

Thank you, both for stopping by and for your thoughtful comment.

January 9, 2012 | 2:34 pm

Thank you, both for stopping by and for your thoughtful comment.

January 9, 2012 | 2:35 pm

Thanks.  I love linking up and reading JBE, it's a wonderful way to help find the things I do well and appreciate myself for them.

January 9, 2012 | 2:35 pm

January 9, 2012 | 2:36 pm

Absolutely carthartic. While the job can be stressful at times, I truly love it so much.

January 9, 2012 | 2:36 pm

13. Mama and the City
    January 9, 2012 | 3:30 pm

Though job you have. You must be very strong to really go back the next day. My admiration you have indeed.

14. Mama and the City
    January 9, 2012 | 3:30 pm

15. Emily
    January 9, 2012 | 4:30 pm

Great post. It's so hard not to feel like you're enough, so writing this and remembering that you are is a great exercise.

16. Emily
    January 9, 2012 | 4:30 pm

January 9, 2012 | 5:34 pm

I especially love your Yoda-esque comments!

Made me happy, you did.

January 9, 2012 | 5:34 pm

I especially love your Yoda-esque comments!

Made me happy, you did.

January 9, 2012 | 5:35 pm

Just Be Enough is such a great site/meme. I always feel better when I publish these posts.

January 9, 2012 | 5:35 pm

21. Meredith
    January 9, 2012 | 6:01 pm

It's hard to accept that you have done enough in most situations. Glad you can find peace in what you do.

22. Meredith
    January 9, 2012 | 6:01 pm

23. RubberChickenMa
    January 9, 2012 | 9:07 pm

I never realized how much residual stress nurses take home at the end of a shift. My hat's off to you for the work that you do. You. Are. Enough.

24. RubberChickenMa
    January 9, 2012 | 9:07 pm

25. Taminginsanity
    January 10, 2012 | 6:11 am

You're already enough. You help people when they're desperate and vulnerable which few others will do.

26. Taminginsanity
    January 10, 2012 | 6:11 am

27. Andrea @ The Penny-Roach's
    January 10, 2012 | 1:29 pm

I'm sure being a nurse is hard, but it sounds like you do a good job 🙂

28. Andrea @ The Penny-Roach's
    January 10, 2012 | 1:29 pm

I'm sure being a nurse is hard, but it sounds like you do a good job 🙂

29. Mamamash
    January 10, 2012 | 3:59 pm

I've always known teachers take it home with them, but I guess I didn't think that nurses would too. Makes sense though, you spend all day with people who are struggling with something, you definitely replay it all in your head once you're home safe. Great post!

30. Mamamash
    January 10, 2012 | 3:59 pm

31. January
    January 10, 2012 | 6:29 pm

I am in awe of nurses.  You are way under appreciated.  So I would like to thank you.  Anyone that does what you just did after every grueling shift must be a fabulous nurse.

32. January
    January 10, 2012 | 6:29 pm

33. LauraAtCatharsis
    January 10, 2012 | 7:21 pm

Such an admirable job you have.  Few, including myself, can understand the difficulty of the job and the emotional toll it undoubtedly takes.  Thank you for the work you do.  Nurses are on the front lines, are the glue that holds the fabric of medical care together.

34. LauraAtCatharsis
    January 10, 2012 | 7:21 pm

35. Missy | Literal Mom
    January 10, 2012 | 7:43 pm

I forgot to say yesterday that I LOVE the Hunger Games Trilogy!

36. Missy | Literal Mom
    January 10, 2012 | 7:43 pm

I forgot to say yesterday that I LOVE the Hunger Games Trilogy!

37. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 10, 2012 | 7:54 pm

To want to improve at your job is a good thing. But don't underestimate how good you already are at it. 🙂

38. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 10, 2012 | 7:54 pm

39. shellthings
    January 10, 2012 | 8:04 pm

I imagine that would be such a hard job!

40. shellthings
    January 10, 2012 | 8:04 pm

I imagine that would be such a hard job!

January 10, 2012 | 9:32 pm

Thank you. I so enjoy my work, there is just so much to learn that I am always wanting to know/do more.

January 10, 2012 | 9:32 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:33 pm

Thank you so much! I honestly didn't realize how much of the job I would take home with me before I started this either. I have to say, though, totally worth it.

January 10, 2012 | 9:33 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:34 pm

I often wish I was helping people when they were having their babies though!

Hope your nurses were the best.

Have you seriously not gotten my gift yet?!!!

January 10, 2012 | 9:34 pm

I often wish I was helping people when they were having their babies though!

Hope your nurses were the best.

Have you seriously not gotten my gift yet?!!!

January 10, 2012 | 9:35 pm

I definitely try to do it to the best of my ability. I love my work so I don't mind that it's difficult sometimes.

January 10, 2012 | 9:35 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:36 pm

It's funny but I'm totally in awe of teachers! I can't even imagine spending all day with someone else's children! Thank you for stopping by…I MISS YOU!

January 10, 2012 | 9:36 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:37 pm

Thank you so much. I love my job and am grateful to have the opportunity to work where I do.

January 10, 2012 | 9:37 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:41 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I feel the exact same way sometimes!

January 10, 2012 | 9:41 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I feel the exact same way sometimes!

January 10, 2012 | 9:42 pm

I'm almost done with the third and am so SAD! What on earth am I going to read next? 🙁

January 10, 2012 | 9:42 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:43 pm

Thank you. And also, thank you for introducing me to lovelinks (again) this is a wonderful group of bloggers and I'm really enjoying reading everyone's work.

January 10, 2012 | 9:43 pm

January 10, 2012 | 9:44 pm

Difficult, but so very rewarding. Thank you for stopping by, I really am honored that you read my little piece. 🙂

I am working on a Pour Your Heart Out so I'll be linking up at your place soon!

January 10, 2012 | 9:44 pm

I am working on a Pour Your Heart Out so I'll be linking up at your place soon!

61. KindredAdventures
    January 10, 2012 | 10:15 pm

This was BEAUTIFUL!!!  I can relate to this on….. every level.  This reminds me sooo much of my day only in reverse.  What a beautiful celebration of you and how wonderful you are.  You should be proud of yourself!

Also, I am reading Mockingjay too!

-LV

62. KindredAdventures
    January 10, 2012 | 10:15 pm

Also, I am reading Mockingjay too!

-LV

63. Kimberly
    January 11, 2012 | 1:30 am

I can't imagine how hard this job is. Everyone has imperfections, but don't underestimate how amazing you are at what you do!

64. Kimberly
    January 11, 2012 | 1:30 am

65. Kir
    January 11, 2012 | 8:52 am

it seems to me that being a good human being is all about thinking about other people, how your decisions affect them and how you just being here is adding to the world. I think you are amazing..and you need to know that.
    those patients are lucky to have a soul like yours looking after theirs. xo

You ARE enough Marina! (-:

January 11, 2012 | 11:09 am

Thank you so much.

January 11, 2012 | 11:09 am

Thank you so much.

January 11, 2012 | 11:10 am

Thanks for the cupcake, I needed one. Especially since yours are calorie free and make me feel all warm and cozy inside! 🙂

January 11, 2012 | 11:10 am

January 11, 2012 | 11:12 am

Thank you so much. So many aspects of life are like motherhood in that they highlight your imperfections as well as your strengths.

January 11, 2012 | 11:12 am

January 11, 2012 | 11:13 am

OMG! Just finished Mockingjay and can I just say…OMG!

Anyway, thank you so much for your kind comment. I was pretty proud of actually writing about this.

January 11, 2012 | 11:13 am

OMG! Just finished Mockingjay and can I just say…OMG!

January 11, 2012 | 1:00 pm

I do believe that the fact you are honestly having those thoughts after each shift that you ARE doing enough!

January 11, 2012 | 1:00 pm

79. Lori Lyons
    January 11, 2012 | 1:45 pm

Awesome.

80. Lori Lyons
    January 11, 2012 | 1:45 pm

Awesome.

January 11, 2012 | 2:39 pm

Thank you. I think wanting to always do more is good, it helps me grow, but I so appreciate these lovely comments from my “Be Enough” gals!

January 11, 2012 | 2:39 pm

January 11, 2012 | 2:40 pm

Thank you very much.

January 11, 2012 | 2:40 pm

Thank you very much.

85. Leighann
    January 11, 2012 | 7:09 pm

I think that if you think about your work long after your shift it means you care.
    That you are good at what you do.
    And that you are one in a million.

86. Leighann
    January 11, 2012 | 7:09 pm

That you are good at what you do.
    And that you are one in a million.

87. Shirley
    January 11, 2012 | 7:12 pm

Being a nurse must be a very rewarding job at times and hard at the same time. It must be hard to let go of stuff when things don't go just right! We need more nurses like you!
    XOXO,
    Shiirley

88. Shirley
    January 11, 2012 | 7:12 pm

XOXO,
    Shiirley

89. funnyorsnot
    January 11, 2012 | 9:37 pm

I worked as a 911 dispatcher for 10 years and people always assumed it was a stressful job and sometimes it could be.  When people asked me about that I would answer that police officers, firefighters, nurses, physicians and people in the field have it far worse than I did.  I'm so glad you are able to feel better when your head hits the pillow and you are with your family where you belong.

90. funnyorsnot
    January 11, 2012 | 9:37 pm

January 11, 2012 | 9:53 pm

I would think that dispatch would almost be more difficult because there was nothing you could physically do. At least I have some control over the situation. But maybe that's just me…

January 11, 2012 | 9:53 pm

January 11, 2012 | 9:54 pm

I do love my job. It's difficult and often stressful, but it is unbelievably rewarding. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Thank you for your sweet comment, I am really enjoying visiting your “adventurous space!”

January 11, 2012 | 9:54 pm

January 11, 2012 | 9:56 pm

I am trying, and that's something. Sometimes that's pretty much all I can do.

Thank you for coming by. It means a lot to me that after a full day of work you are willing to spend a little time “catching up” with me. Seriously, thanks.

January 11, 2012 | 9:56 pm

I am trying, and that's something. Sometimes that's pretty much all I can do.

97. Robin | Farewell Stranger
    January 11, 2012 | 10:12 pm

I think that's a great process, especially if you can accept that it's enough. I can totally see how you'd need to mentally wind down after a shift.

And yes, it's enough. 🙂

98. Robin | Farewell Stranger
    January 11, 2012 | 10:12 pm

And yes, it's enough. 🙂

99. Jamie Walker
    January 11, 2012 | 10:17 pm

Your career is one I could NEVER do!  I can only imagine the mental and emotional strain on yourself and then come home to be a Mom and Wife.  MAJOR kuddos to you my friend!

100. Jamie Walker
    January 11, 2012 | 10:17 pm

101. Shannon from mynewfavoriteday
    January 12, 2012 | 1:11 am

Nurses like you are my heros…the caretakers and caregivers. An extension of family and friends when we can't be there. Advocates and constituents. Our story and journey had me bow down to you: for what you do, for what you give…whether you know it or not. Tuck your feet in, and hold your heart as you know how grateful the families are that you help everyday. Thank you…

102. Shannon from mynewfavoriteday
    January 12, 2012 | 1:11 am

103. Deborahlquinn
    January 12, 2012 | 8:21 am

The question of “what is enough” is both incredibly important…and the path to madness. Because in nursing, as in so many other professions (teaching, for instance) there is probably always one more thing, one more detail, one more push to get through to someone…but of course the stakes aren't mortal in the classroom the way they are for you.  But as someone once said to me, if you care enough to think about “what else could I have done, could I have done more…” then probably you are already doing a LOT.

104. Deborahlquinn
    January 12, 2012 | 8:21 am

January 12, 2012 | 10:19 am

Path to madness…amen! It's true though, if you a worried about doing more, you just might be doing enough. Thank you.

January 12, 2012 | 10:19 am

January 12, 2012 | 10:20 am

There are definitely times when I'm tired of doing things for everyone else. I think my husband probably takes the brunt of that, though!

January 12, 2012 | 10:20 am

January 12, 2012 | 10:21 am

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I have to get to your “place” more often.

And yes, mentally winding down is such an important thing to do after a shift.

January 12, 2012 | 10:21 am

And yes, mentally winding down is such an important thing to do after a shift.

January 12, 2012 | 10:22 am

You do give some of the best comments! Thank you so much.

January 12, 2012 | 10:22 am

You do give some of the best comments! Thank you so much.

113. Jamidodds10
    January 21, 2012 | 8:04 pm

Marina, I remember when I was in the hospital with Michael. I felt so alone and scared. There was so much coming at me that I just wasn't prepared for at that time. So many life changing decisions to make that no one could make, or even help me make. I remember crying a lot. Not knowing how I was going to move forward. But there was this sweet nurse there who stayed with me, even after her shift was over to comfort and help me. This sweet wonderful nurse was the one who called and had a company come out and take a mold of Michaels hand for me. I cannot even begin to tell you how much her kind act on my part helped me during such a trying time. I still have the mold and often think of what she did for me, and she may not even remember me. But I will always remember her and love her for the gift she gave to me. To be honest she may have even paid for it. I don't know. Every time I read a post about your work I think of  your patients and  how many lives you have touched. Some you know about and some you don't. I think that you are such a wonderful nurse because you do care. It shows in how you treat your patients. And the fact that you are always trying to improve just goes to show how amazing you really are. I have learned that a nurse is the heart of the hospital. You are enough, just because you care so much.

114. Jamidodds10
    January 21, 2012 | 8:04 pm

January 23, 2012 | 10:44 am

Jami,

You couldn't have posted a better comment for me. I think of you often during work, especially when I have patients in a similar situation as you were. I am so glad someone was there for you during Michael's birth. I can understand how much of a difference that makes and I try so hard to be that person.

Thank you so much, for reading, and understanding, and helping me feel like I'm enough.

I love you.