Treading Water

My house is a wreck.

There are piles of toys, books and clothes all over the floors while papers, dirty dishes, and miscellaneous trinkets cover the shelves, counters and tables.

My bed isn’t made.

The kid’s rooms are just as bad and I haven’t the energy nor the desire to straighten or clean them.

I missed my run…

…this weekend, and this morning.

My blog hasn’t been updated and I’m feeling behind on everything.

House guests and sickness have made free time illusive and cleaning nearly impossible. I was really looking forward to spending a few days this week catching up on the house, my blog, my sanity.

But you know what they say about the best laid plans.

Last night, Amelia became feverish so I’m home again, with a sick kid, a ton to do, and no relief in sight.

I know there are worse things than a few days at home in a messy house with a sick kid. I realize that I could have it so much worse. I am trying to put things into perspective without completely losing my shit about the little things. Unfortunately, I’m not sure that I’m well enough adjusted to do that right now.

So I’m starting small. I’ll do a few loads of laundry, try to collect the wayward dishes and write a little something here.

Tomorrow, I might be able to do more.

Today, that has to be enough.

66 Responses to Treading Water
  1. Helene1108
    January 23, 2012 | 11:55 am

I so get this.  I feel like I'm treading water many days.  I finally got all the laundry done from last week just yesterday and already there's 2 more baskets of dirty laundry waiting to be washed again.  It never ends.  Just do what you can to keep your head above water for now…you'll get a break soon, hopefully!

2. Helene1108
    January 23, 2012 | 11:55 am

January 23, 2012 | 11:59 am

This motherhood thing is never ending, no? Thanks for the comment. I'm definitely feeling a little overwhelmed and it's nice to know I'm not alone!

January 23, 2012 | 11:59 am

5. Life As Wife
    January 23, 2012 | 12:05 pm

It is enough! You have to start somewhere!!

6. Life As Wife
    January 23, 2012 | 12:05 pm

It is enough! You have to start somewhere!!

January 23, 2012 | 12:09 pm

Right now I'm thinking that sitting on the couch is the best place to start!

January 23, 2012 | 12:09 pm

Right now I'm thinking that sitting on the couch is the best place to start!

9. Sleeplessinsummerville
    January 23, 2012 | 12:38 pm

I'm digging out of my own mess.  Just know that it will get better.  Do something here or there.  Don't kill yourself, beat yourself up or ruin your day to get things done.  It will happen in time.  I can see the light at the end of my own tunnel now…

10. Sleeplessinsummerville
    January 23, 2012 | 12:38 pm

11. Greta
    January 23, 2012 | 12:53 pm

I COMPLETELY understand. My husband has been gone for two weeks now (for work), and even when he's not, I feel like I'm just barely above the surface. When he's gone, though, especially this long, it's all I can do to not drown. Throw in a few sick kids, and it's over. We have to just work on the little things, right?

12. Greta
    January 23, 2012 | 12:53 pm

January 23, 2012 | 1:16 pm

See, that's what I mean about how I could have it much worse! I feel for you and hope you are able to keep your head above water until he returns.

It's so true about the little things, just checking a few things off the list – like writing this post- can really make a difference.

January 23, 2012 | 1:16 pm

January 23, 2012 | 1:17 pm

Thank you. It's hard not to see that the entire overwhelming mess is actually just made up of little things. Clearing away a few at a time, without overdoing it can make a big difference.

January 23, 2012 | 1:17 pm

17. Rikki Campbell Ogden
    January 23, 2012 | 1:26 pm

Hang in there, sweetie. You got this. Try not to get down on yourself for not having it “all together” all the time—it's hard, you know I know! Just take care of little bits at a time, and stop for small moments of zen. Love you.

18. Rikki Campbell Ogden
    January 23, 2012 | 1:26 pm

January 23, 2012 | 1:31 pm

I love you too, and thank you. I'm sensing our “getaway” has to be close or I just won't be able to capture my zen!

January 23, 2012 | 1:31 pm

January 23, 2012 | 2:15 pm

I sometimes have MONTHS like that.  You're amazing and you'll find a way to juggle it all.  Just don't forget to allot some time for you as well!

January 23, 2012 | 2:15 pm

January 23, 2012 | 2:17 pm

It's so nice to hear that I'm not alone in this. It gives me hope. Thank you.

January 23, 2012 | 2:17 pm

It's so nice to hear that I'm not alone in this. It gives me hope. Thank you.

25. Stacey
    January 23, 2012 | 4:14 pm

It absolutely is enough. It is so hard and we are so hard on ourselves. I always get so frustrated that my house is a perma-disaster. Some day it will be clean. Of course, that also means the children will all be gone from home. Then I will be sad that the house is clean. It's still hard to remember in the thick of things. I hope your day and week brighten up!

26. Stacey
    January 23, 2012 | 4:14 pm

27. jesterqueen1
    January 23, 2012 | 4:40 pm

Nothing worse than being home with a sick kid. It's the most helpless feeling. I hope she feels better! I hope you do, too!

28. jesterqueen1
    January 23, 2012 | 4:40 pm

29. Emily
    January 23, 2012 | 5:42 pm

Making small,goals and going from there is best.

30. Emily
    January 23, 2012 | 5:42 pm

Making small,goals and going from there is best.

31. idiosyncratic eye
    January 23, 2012 | 5:51 pm

Finding peace with 'enough' is hard to do but so satisfying.  I know the feeling and you capture it so well.  🙂

32. idiosyncratic eye
    January 23, 2012 | 5:51 pm

33. Missy | Literal Mom
    January 23, 2012 | 7:32 pm

Starting small.  Sometimes the smartest words an overwhelmed mother can utter.  Thanks for linking up with JBE.  Hope your day got better!

34. Missy | Literal Mom
    January 23, 2012 | 7:32 pm

35. Kimberly
    January 23, 2012 | 11:54 pm

Small goals is a good place to start. I'm sorry she wasn't feeling well. I hope it passes quickly!

36. Kimberly
    January 23, 2012 | 11:54 pm

January 24, 2012 | 7:59 am

I think she's fine. No fever x 24hrs so she's off to MDO. Thank goodness! I'm just going to pretend like today is Monday, and go from there.

January 24, 2012 | 7:59 am

January 24, 2012 | 8:01 am

It's getting rid of the nagging feeling that I should do more that always gets me. Writing it down helps, so thank you for that sweet comment.

January 24, 2012 | 8:01 am

January 24, 2012 | 8:01 am

Small goals like, today I think I'll get dressed? If so, then I've already aced Tuesday!

Thank you so much for coming by.

January 24, 2012 | 8:01 am

Thank you so much for coming by.

January 24, 2012 | 8:02 am

Thank you. I think she's alright, and I'm getting there. I so appreciate you stopping by to listen to me vent!

January 24, 2012 | 8:02 am

January 24, 2012 | 8:04 am

With what you have going on, it's amazing that you EVER get any housework done! You are seriously an inspiration. I don't mind that the kids will be gone and the house will be clean, though. I just hope they stop by often enough to remind me of what I did to earn my peace and quiet. 🙂

January 24, 2012 | 8:04 am

47. Kristin
    January 24, 2012 | 10:17 am

I find there is usually on niggling task, vacuuming the stairs or getting the clutter off my dresser, that can usually make a world of difference. There just needs to be a small moment in a forward direction.
    Hope your little girl is feeling better soon.

48. Kristin
    January 24, 2012 | 10:17 am

Hope your little girl is feeling better soon.

49. Angela
    January 24, 2012 | 12:03 pm

Oh, I know exactly what you mean.  When sickness takes over a house, those things just pile up, and they make me anxious.  But sometimes a little paralyzed as well.  You did the right thing, taking a little step to make a dent.  I hope everyone is better soon 🙁

(and thanks for linking up with JBE!)

50. Angela
    January 24, 2012 | 12:03 pm

(and thanks for linking up with JBE!)

51. Brandi
    January 24, 2012 | 12:36 pm

Some days, the only thing that gets done is rolling out of bed and making food. On those days, that's more than enough. Baby steps here and there can be a huge deal, right??

52. Brandi
    January 24, 2012 | 12:36 pm

53. Jamie Walker
    January 24, 2012 | 2:38 pm

Oh my Miss M I am right there with you.  The pressure I put on myself… it's not worth it.  What gets done is enough and what doesn't doesn't matter.  I'll be here when you have things ready again!

54. Jamie Walker
    January 24, 2012 | 2:38 pm

55. sailwawasee
    January 24, 2012 | 5:52 pm

I know the feeling when everything before you is the last thing you want to do or you can't get to what you truly want to do. The sick kid thing is hard. Do what you can? I'm the 10 minute tidy girl (what was that kids' show on PBS?). I flurry around before everyone comes home and it actually looks like I've accomplished something if only on the surface!

56. sailwawasee
    January 24, 2012 | 5:52 pm

January 24, 2012 | 7:52 pm

Thank you. She's much better now. I think the never ending piles of laundry are what's killing me!

January 24, 2012 | 7:52 pm

January 24, 2012 | 7:53 pm

Thank you. I love JBE, although sometimes I just feel bad that I can't visit as many linkers as I'd like.

She is much better and I think we're on our way to a more productive and fulfilling week!

January 24, 2012 | 7:53 pm

January 24, 2012 | 7:55 pm

Oh my gosh, you are so right! I used to tell my husband to just be grateful that every one is still alive, clean and fed! That's so how I'm feeling these days. I think I might need to adjust my priorities. 🙂

January 24, 2012 | 7:55 pm

January 24, 2012 | 7:55 pm

That's so true. No one puts as much pressure on me as I do! Thank you for visiting me during my little pity party!

January 24, 2012 | 7:55 pm

January 24, 2012 | 7:56 pm

You're my new hero, 10 minute tidy girl! It's true that it takes less time to do something than it does to obsess over it though.  Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

January 24, 2012 | 7:56 pm