Soundtrack Of My Life

Today’s topic is ten songs that would make up my life’s soundtrack.

1. Absolutely (Story of a Girl) – Nine Days

Because if we’re going to start my life off with a theme, it might as well be one of tears. Yes, I was a girl tortured by being perpetually in the friend zone. As far as my formative teen years go, I remember heartbreak and angst and longing, and not really much else. Cue the violins.

“This is the story of a girl, who cried a river and drowned the whole world.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIANBamMgas]

2. 32 Flavors – Alana Davis

I’ve always been struck by the dimension of people. Especially now that I’m older. I realize that people are rarely as they appear.  As I posted earlier I am often defined by my roles as mother, wife, nurse, daughter, sister, but there is so much more to me than the various hats I wear.

“I am a poster girl with no poster. I am 32 flavors and then some.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfbL53jhN4]

3. Talk Tonight – Oasis

This song reminds me of the sweetness of finding yourself in the middle of a long, comfortable conversation. Whether on the phone, or in person, watching the sun rise with someone you’ve shared a bit of yourself with, counts as some of my favorite memories.

“I wanna talk tonight, until the morning light, about how you saved my life.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvvMHXVUc5M]

4. Torn – Natalie Imbuglia

I remember when this first song came out I identified with it completely. The feeling of being so broken it wouldn’t matter who came to rescue you. Even as a grown woman I’ve still felt this way many times in my life, not hopeless, just torn.

“You’re a little late, I’m already torn.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo]

5. Broken Road – Melodie Crittenden

Being an awkward, perpetually lovesick, young woman, I was more than relieved to be married at twenty-two.  I finally felt like I could direct all that energy I’d been wasting worrying about being loved into something far more productive. This song describes how all of those heartaches and mistakes brought me to my present.

(I threw in the Pacey & Joey YouTube edition because who doesn’t love Dawson’s Creek?)

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXg491l3Efc]

6. Little Wonders – Rob Thomas

Regardless of the fact that this is found on the soundtrack to a movie that I’ve never seen, it’s a brilliant choice for my own personal soundtrack. The song reminds me that the past is gone and it’s living in the present that will reveal the true joys life.

“Let it go, let it roll right off your shoulder. Don’t you know, the hardest part is over?”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoTDH3nqhW4]

7. Suddenly, I See – KT Tunstall

The woman depicted in this song is strong, captivating, and alive.  She’s all the things I’d like to be admired for. I guess you could call her my musical role model.

“Suddenly, I see, why the hell it means so much to me.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tlU-1u1JC8]

8. How to Save a Life – The Fray

It’s no surprise that I love Grey’s Anatomy. I even written about how I don’t have any hang ups when it comes to medical dramas and working in the medical field. This song inspired one of my favorite posts and totally makes me thrilled about my career.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVQ36NhbMk]

9. Sleep – Melissa Etheridge

This is the song. The one that perfectly describes how I feel about my husband and our life together. The only video I could find of it is awful…please don’t judge the song based on what you see. In fact, just listen with your eyes closed. Yeah, do that.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO38oBiR67Y]

10. Closer to Fine – Indigo Girls

The perfect song to end with. A song describing the search for something more, something bigger than what we are.

“Well darkness has a hunger that’s insatiable, and lightness has a call that’s hard to hear.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUgwM1Ky228]

82 Responses to Soundtrack Of My Life
  1. Audrey
    January 29, 2012 | 10:38 pm

Wow great list! And I had totally forgotten about some of those songs 🙂 Better go update my playlist!

2. Audrey
    January 29, 2012 | 10:38 pm

3. Stasha
    January 29, 2012 | 11:05 pm

Wow, love this. The choice of your songs, the reason behind it, the lyric that speaks to you, for us!
    Never heard of Alana Davis, what a great tune, thank you! Also what happened to KT?

4. Stasha
    January 29, 2012 | 11:05 pm

5. Kimberly
    January 29, 2012 | 11:36 pm

Great list! I love that you threw in Dawson's Creek clip. Loved that show!

6. Kimberly
    January 29, 2012 | 11:36 pm

Great list! I love that you threw in Dawson's Creek clip. Loved that show!

7. Bruna
    January 29, 2012 | 11:47 pm

I loved Natalie Umbrulia and who DOESN'T love Dawson's Creek!  You totally brought me back in time with that video clip!

8. Bruna
    January 29, 2012 | 11:47 pm

9. jentos23
    January 30, 2012 | 7:04 am

Number 8 is one of my favorite songs of ALL time! I love it…it reminds me of Grey's Anatomy 🙂

10. jentos23
    January 30, 2012 | 7:04 am

January 30, 2012 | 7:05 am

Great list, and I won't lie, I love the tv show references thrown in there- Dawson's & Grey's!!!
    That Indigo Girl songs is one I can't help but sing along with every.single.time. I hear it!

January 30, 2012 | 7:05 am

January 30, 2012 | 9:38 am

What can I say, I've got wicked good taste in television shows! Apparently you do too.

Love the Indigo Girls, so glad you liked my list.

January 30, 2012 | 9:38 am

Love the Indigo Girls, so glad you liked my list.

January 30, 2012 | 9:39 am

I was going to post the Grey's Anatomy video but decided against it. I'm pretty sure I sobbed when they aired it on TV though…like always.

January 30, 2012 | 9:39 am

January 30, 2012 | 9:40 am

I spent the majority of Saturday night watching Pacey & Joey mashups on YouTube. It was time well spent!

January 30, 2012 | 9:40 am

January 30, 2012 | 9:45 am

Thank you. I thought it was funny that we'd been tweeting about that and OTH earlier. OTH didn't make the musical cut though. Maybe another time.

January 30, 2012 | 9:45 am

January 30, 2012 | 9:47 am

Well, if you're going to do something, you might as well do it well, right? I'm glad you enjoyed the list…it only took me FOREVER to pick the songs. I didn't mind though, it was a fun trip down memory lane.

Alana Davis actually doing a cover of an Ani DiFranco song. And I don't know where KT went…maybe we'll see her again soon?

January 30, 2012 | 9:47 am

January 30, 2012 | 9:48 am

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love that we're all sharing songs because that means I can be reminded of ones I loved as well.

January 30, 2012 | 9:48 am

25. Katie E
    January 30, 2012 | 11:59 am

Oh, it's so much fun to read these lists and see songs I love, too, or even songs I've forgotten about like The Story of a Girl. And I love your Indigo Girls choice – since you have a few TV references, did you see it on Happy Endings? It was hilarious. And you're right, who doesn't love Dawson's Creek, right?

26. Katie E
    January 30, 2012 | 11:59 am

27. Greta @ Not Enough Patience
    January 30, 2012 | 12:19 pm

Great list! I love 32 Flavors, too, but Ani Difranco is my favorite singer, so I favor her version. 🙂

LOVED Dawson's Creek!

28. Greta @ Not Enough Patience
    January 30, 2012 | 12:19 pm

LOVED Dawson's Creek!

29. jacqui
    January 30, 2012 | 12:49 pm

I think I'm the only person in the world who has never watched Dawson's Creek or Grey's Anatomy…I wonder if I should just start at the beginnings and catch up. Great soundtrack!

30. jacqui
    January 30, 2012 | 12:49 pm

January 30, 2012 | 1:22 pm

You aren't the only person in the world, but it definitely wouldn't hurt your “cool cred.” Plus, it's just good, fun guilty pleasures…and I think they're both on Netflix.

January 30, 2012 | 1:22 pm

January 30, 2012 | 1:23 pm

I was torn as to what version to use but since Alana Davis is the artist I first heard if from, that's who I picked. I'm glad you enjoyed my little DC pick.

January 30, 2012 | 1:23 pm

January 30, 2012 | 1:24 pm

I love Happy Endings! Please don't take that out of context.

I have loved going through this week's lists as well, it's been a nice trip down memory lane.

January 30, 2012 | 1:24 pm

I love Happy Endings! Please don't take that out of context.

37. Jessica
    January 30, 2012 | 2:57 pm

Every time I hear how to save a life I think of Grey's Anatomy. Love that show!

38. Jessica
    January 30, 2012 | 2:57 pm

Every time I hear how to save a life I think of Grey's Anatomy. Love that show!

January 30, 2012 | 4:16 pm

Me too, on both counts!

January 30, 2012 | 4:16 pm

Me too, on both counts!

41. paul
    January 30, 2012 | 5:57 pm

I can't believe I only know one of those songs. Great list, now back to more listening. Jacqui, you're not alone, never watched Grey's Anatomy or Dawson's Creek either.

42. paul
    January 30, 2012 | 5:57 pm

43. Karen Bechman
    January 30, 2012 | 6:52 pm

I have identified with so many of the songs you picked.  I can remember where I was at the exact moment I heard Torn for the first time and i immediately went and bought the CD…I am so thankful for a husband who took away the “torn” feeling.

44. Karen Bechman
    January 30, 2012 | 6:52 pm

45. Sarcasm Goddess
    January 30, 2012 | 9:02 pm

I love Absolutely (Story of a Girl). And oh Dawson's Creek how I loved you.

46. Sarcasm Goddess
    January 30, 2012 | 9:02 pm

I love Absolutely (Story of a Girl). And oh Dawson's Creek how I loved you.

47. Amanda
    January 30, 2012 | 10:44 pm

Wow, great songs.  I played Ani Difranco's version of “32 Flavours” over and over and over.  And Closer to Fine? I actually should have picked that as my song that reminded me of my camp days.  Perfection!

48. Amanda
    January 30, 2012 | 10:44 pm

49. Sarah DeNike
    January 30, 2012 | 11:34 pm

You have a great list. I love Grey's as well, so almost any song they use ends up on one of my playlists.

50. Sarah DeNike
    January 30, 2012 | 11:34 pm

51. Lisa @ Schwartz Chronicles
    January 31, 2012 | 12:38 am

How to Save a Life by the Fray and Little Wonders by Rob Thomas are favourites of mine.  Great list.

52. Lisa @ Schwartz Chronicles
    January 31, 2012 | 12:38 am

January 31, 2012 | 11:36 am

Thanks. I love them as well.

January 31, 2012 | 11:36 am

Thanks. I love them as well.

January 31, 2012 | 11:36 am

They really do have some amazing songs on that show!

January 31, 2012 | 11:36 am

They really do have some amazing songs on that show!

January 31, 2012 | 11:38 am

Two amazing, life affirming songs, right?

January 31, 2012 | 11:38 am

Two amazing, life affirming songs, right?

January 31, 2012 | 11:41 am

I've searched for another show that replicates Dawson's Creek, but have come up empty. At least it ended well.

January 31, 2012 | 11:41 am

January 31, 2012 | 11:42 am

Oh my gosh, that's EXACTLY how I felt about Torn. So glad you can relate.

January 31, 2012 | 11:42 am

Oh my gosh, that's EXACTLY how I felt about Torn. So glad you can relate.

January 31, 2012 | 11:44 am

What song was it that you knew? I'd say if you only listened to one, it should be the Oasis one.

January 31, 2012 | 11:44 am

January 31, 2012 | 12:05 pm

I had a conversation with Emily Sailers of the Indigo girls at a stoplight in Atlanta about my cute puppy. Was a fun small thrill for me. And LOVE Rob Thomas. Great list.

January 31, 2012 | 12:05 pm

67. shellthings
    January 31, 2012 | 4:07 pm

Okay, the fact that you used the Dawson's Creek version of that song? I think I have a crush on you now. I LOVED Dawson's Creek. And was always Team Pacey. I wanted to name one of my boys Pacey but hubs vetoed.

68. shellthings
    January 31, 2012 | 4:07 pm

January 31, 2012 | 10:44 pm

Obviously, I was a HUGE Pacey fan! You and me…with our boys named Pacey, would have rocked the interwebs. Lame-o husbands!

January 31, 2012 | 10:44 pm

January 31, 2012 | 10:44 pm

You are now more of my hero than you previously were…can I be you when my kids finally grow up?!

January 31, 2012 | 10:44 pm

73. Bridget
    February 1, 2012 | 12:10 am

Closer I Am To Fine! How could I have forgotten this song. Love. Love, love, love!

74. Bridget
    February 1, 2012 | 12:10 am

75. Sperk*
    February 1, 2012 | 12:46 pm

Love your list!  Especially enjoyed the Alana Davis cover of Ani Difranco's 32 Flavors.  Used to be my favorite break-up song:
    “Cause someday you might find you're starving

and eating all of the words you said”

76. Sperk*
    February 1, 2012 | 12:46 pm

“Cause someday you might find you're starving

and eating all of the words you said”

February 3, 2012 | 4:05 pm

Me too! Isn't it great!

February 3, 2012 | 4:05 pm

Me too! Isn't it great!

February 3, 2012 | 4:05 pm

That's a great break-up song. So glad you enjoyed the list…yours was great as well!

February 3, 2012 | 4:05 pm

81. Kir
    February 5, 2012 | 8:57 am

You and I are SOUL MATES for sure….32 flavors, Little Wonders, Closer to Fine and Absolutely??? I LOVE YOU xoxoxox
    MWAH