Move Along

This summer began with a breath of wonder and ended with a sigh of relief.

I am not surprised.

There were, of course, some of those idyllic summer moments:

Watching the fireworks from an armchair on the back of Elijah's pickup.

Paddle boatin' on Lady Bird Lake with Asher.

A trip to San Antonio where, according to Amelia, we stayed at "the store with the beds."

Unfortunately, it seemed like we spent most of the days bickering about how much time had been wasted in front of screens, still in our pajamas, with me longing for an earlier bedtime. In my mind, I know I did my best, factoring in the kid’s ages and my extreme sleep deprivation, but in my heart, I wanted to do better.

I wanted to give more.

I wanted to be more.

This summer also included some very serious personal and professional heartbreak. I’m hesitant to say more than that but hope that those who are aware of what happened continue to keep me in their thoughts. Accepting my mistakes and moving past them is proving to be difficult.

Therefore, this post is a reminder to “move along.” Put the past into perspective, take what lessons and memories you can from it, and let the rest go.

I realize that I can’t change what I did and didn’t do this summer. Similarly, I am unable to alter the surprisingly insensitive behavior of others. However, I can refuse to continue carrying all this baggage around with me.

26 Responses to Move Along
  1. Leighann
    August 27, 2012 | 9:03 am

Perfect advice!
    Easier said than done, but if we say it to ourselves regularly and know we tried and are moving on then it’s all we can do.

August 29, 2012 | 3:15 pm

Unfortunately, I’m having a very hard time taking this excellent advice. It most definitely is easier said than done, but at least I’m trying.

2. Leighann
    August 27, 2012 | 9:03 am

Perfect advice!

August 29, 2012 | 3:15 pm

August 27, 2012 | 12:51 pm

I’m sorry… I’m a bad blog reader this summer so I’m not sure what’s going on.
    What I do believe is that everything happens for a reason and things always get better! It’s good that you’re taking lessons learned from it all and moving forward… honestly, it’s probably the best thing.
    Our summer wasn’t all that I wanted it to be but I usually set my expectations to high too.

August 27, 2012 | 2:31 pm

You didn’t miss anything by not stopping here this summer. I pretty much took the entire season off and am just now getting back to posting. So I’m glad for your visit and comment!

I am guilty of setting my summer fun expectations too high as well, and am therefore no stranger to the back to school “should haves.”

August 27, 2012 | 12:51 pm

I’m sorry… I’m a bad blog reader this summer so I’m not sure what’s going on.

August 27, 2012 | 2:31 pm

5. Greta @gfunkified
    August 27, 2012 | 7:33 pm

First, I came to your site not expecting to see a post and was pleasantly surprised to see one! I wish it hadn’t been full of ache, though, for whatever happened. I’m so sorry you’ve had a rough time, and I just hope that it gets better for you. You kids are out of this world adorable, both of them, and I can just about guarantee that they’ll only hold on to the happy memories that you have made this summer. They’re young, they’re siblings, they’re resilient. I’ve missed you here, but I’m always happy to see your faces on IG. 🙂

August 28, 2012 | 8:47 am

Thank you for you’re lovely comment, it pretty much made my day.

I am so glad you are still stopping by. I plan to be more active around here, I just had to step back for a bit. It is nice to be connected via IG, though. I don’t feel as neglectful of my bloggy buddies that way. 🙂

6. Greta @gfunkified
    August 27, 2012 | 7:33 pm

August 28, 2012 | 8:47 am

Thank you for you’re lovely comment, it pretty much made my day.

August 27, 2012 | 7:37 pm

I can completely relate regarding what we did and didn’t do this summer. I spent a lot of my time locked away in an office studying. And even after that it seems like I didn’t spend enough quality time with my son. Gotta love mommy guilt. 🙁

I’ll be thinking about you.

August 28, 2012 | 8:51 am

It seems like no matter what, that mommy guilt is always poised and waiting to strike. But you had an excellent reason to be a little “absent,” Ms. Bar Exam!

August 27, 2012 | 7:37 pm

I’ll be thinking about you.

August 28, 2012 | 8:51 am

9. Bridget
    August 27, 2012 | 11:52 pm

I don’t know what happened – but I don’t have to, to keep you in my thoughts anyway:)

August 28, 2012 | 8:54 am

I so appreciate the sentiment. It’s not really anything I can share which, I believe, makes the situation even more difficult.

I am trying to move forward though, and knowing that you’re with me in spirit every time I break open a box o’wine makes it easier!

10. Bridget
    August 27, 2012 | 11:52 pm

August 28, 2012 | 8:54 am

11. Jami
    August 28, 2012 | 9:55 pm

My thoughts are with you as you are struggling. I hope that time will help you heal and bring you peace. As far as your kids go, from every picture and story you post they look so happy. You are doing a great job with them. So give yourself a break.

August 29, 2012 | 3:17 pm

I think that one of the hardest things for me to do is to accept that I’m raising my kids as best I can and that they are actually thriving. I always think I should be doing more. Thank you for that sweet comment, Jami, it means a lot to me that at least they LOOK happy! 🙂

12. Jami
    August 28, 2012 | 9:55 pm

August 29, 2012 | 3:17 pm

13. Kathryn
    August 30, 2012 | 9:38 am

Ameila’s face in the last photo is simply priceless.

14. Kathryn
    August 30, 2012 | 9:38 am

Ameila’s face in the last photo is simply priceless.