The Best Ever

Nook

December was chaotic. An unexpected death in the family sent us to California for a long weekend. As a result of the expense, Elijah and I decided not to exchange gifts and we tried to scale back our other purchases.   We did, however continue the tradition of taking the kids shopping for their gifts to mom and dad.

True to form, I did the shopping online, letting them pick various things from Elijah’s Amazon wishlist, and he ended up with the first two seasons of Archer, a book, and a t-shirt.

He, always the “hands on” parent, asked each child what they wanted to get for me and then took them out separately to pick out my presents. Amelia told him she wanted to get me a magazine. From that I got a subscription to Real Simple, a Starbucks card (for something to drink while I read), and a gift certificate for a pedicure from my salon (for somewhere to read the magazine. Asher wanted to buy me a book, and remembering how much I’ve been wanting one, Elijah helped him pick out the Nook tablet.

Knowing how difficult the holidays were going to be this year, he went out of his way to make my gifts special. Using ideas from both kids, tailored specifically for me. I am continuously amazed by this man’s generosity and thoughtfulness, and unbelievably touched by how much he loves me.

He totally won Christmas this year.

GFunkified
20 Responses to The Best Ever
  1. Greta @gfunkified
    January 10, 2013 | 11:22 am

Wow, how sweet is that?! You’ve got yourself a catch there, for sure. He should give lessons. (seriously. ahem.)

I’m sorry that you had a rough December, but I’m so glad that it ended well! And yay for a new post that’s linked up with us! Double bonus!!

• Miss Marina Star
      January 10, 2013 | 11:44 am

You are too good to me, you know that? I am so touched by your kindness and support. I’m really looking forward to spending another year online with you!

2. Greta @gfunkified
    January 10, 2013 | 11:22 am

• Miss Marina Star
      January 10, 2013 | 11:44 am

3. Laverne
    January 10, 2013 | 11:46 am

SERIOUSLY!!! Give that man a gold star… wait! in his case a beer! How incredibly thoughtful. Also, how fun to see you in here and see your voice and words. I have truly enjoyed getting to know you on instagram and while I COMPLETELY understand how hard it is to find time to write I have to say I smiled quite a bit to see this post!

• Miss Marina Star
      January 10, 2013 | 4:33 pm

He really is. Good call on the beer, you know him so well. IG is pretty awesome like that, huh?

4. Laverne
    January 10, 2013 | 11:46 am

• Miss Marina Star
      January 10, 2013 | 4:33 pm

5. Amanda Austin
    January 10, 2013 | 7:59 pm

AWW! Heart is all melty!! That’s a good man there. I still stand by my thought that we’d have an amazing double date 🙂

• Miss Marina Star
      January 11, 2013 | 1:31 pm

I agree about the double date. I say we do it at Disney World because I’m always insanely jealous of how often you guys just “drop by” the park!

6. Amanda Austin
    January 10, 2013 | 7:59 pm

• Miss Marina Star
      January 11, 2013 | 1:31 pm

7. nerdmommathfun
    January 10, 2013 | 9:20 pm

WIN. What thoughtful gifts!! We got the not-quite-as-nice Nook for my MIL, and she was stoked – so I can just imagine how neat that one is going to be. DH of the year nomination, right there. (Also – hope that this year is gentler to you than it sounds like December was. Really, really.)

• Miss Marina Star
      January 11, 2013 | 1:30 pm

Thank you! I am hoping 2013 is better as well. Although, maybe if it sucks I’ll get another crop of fabulously thoughtful Christmas presents!

8. nerdmommathfun
    January 10, 2013 | 9:20 pm

• Miss Marina Star
      January 11, 2013 | 1:30 pm

January 11, 2013 | 8:58 pm

Wow…. very nice!

Last year my husband went all out and this year… not so much. But that’s okay because he got me a Kindle Fire and Kitchen Aid mixer last year and I’m still loving them!

• Miss Marina Star
      January 13, 2013 | 2:35 pm

I think the thing about this year was that I really wasn’t expecting anything special. I was just trying to get through the month and still keep it magical for the kids. He saw that, and instead of just letting things be, gave me a lovely moment that he knew I needed.

January 11, 2013 | 8:58 pm